How long do you wait to change water after you change your filter media

footballcs12

I know it can be a bad idea to change water and filter media at the same time as it can change levels too fast for the tank but how long do YOU wait before you change your water again? I typically wait about 3-4 days.

(Not sure why it would matter.)

I personally do a 10% water change every Saturday morning -- empty out protein skimmer, change out GAC, change mechanical filters, make sure nothing (like built-up algae) is impeeding flow anywhere. I take the powerheads out too and clean them with a toothbrush/H202.
About only thing different is I don't do -- I do not dose anything on that water change day since I figure it is already getting additional Ca, Mg, pH increase, etc. from that water change.

I used to vacuum the sandbed weekly, but I do that now on a monthly basis. It stays fairly clean since getting the lawnmower blenny anyway.

Literally been told that you can strip too much out of the water for YEARSSSSSS. Well ****....maintenance days just got easier to fit into my schedule

Excessive use of gfo can certainly cause phosphate levels to be too low..
IMO it should only be used when you have a phosphate problem that you cant solve with other methods
Cant really overdose on carbon or water changes though

Changing all at one time isnt a problem

I am going to have to disagree here. Sure in a perfect system, Changing all of these factors will not cause any issues. It has been long term practice for many reefers to alternate changing out new GFO/Carbon. Changing everything at once can strip to much nutrients from the water. I have personally bleached my large pocillapora colony by changing out to much carbon.

Back