how long to keep farrow?

foster200

How long does everyone keep there tank farrow to allow the ich to die off? I do not want to increase the temperature either, I have a round stingray still in there that likes colder water. I heard he is basically immune to ich. is that correct? I hate seeing my tank this way though, is there any other way to expidite this process?

Your sting ray might be "immune" but the question is whether he can be a "carrier" of ich. If he can be a "carrier", then your tank is not "fallow".

Interesting combination... rays are resistant to the disease, but at temperatures below 15C/59F (or 19C/66F, depending on the reference) it doesn't matter because Cryptocaryon doesn't reproduce at low temperatures. The literature is not clear on what happens to the tomonts at low temperatures... if they simply hibernate then it may be a long time before the tank is clear.

Two choices:
(1) Keep the temperature above 68F (up to 86, which is optimum for marine ich), and then wait 6-8 weeks. Probably the presence of the ray won't make any difference in the prognosis, but no guarantee.

(2) Keep the temperature permanently below 60. Even if the ich is still present it will not bother you... but you won't be able to keep any tropical species.

Im going to keep the ray in the tank (so far anyway). I really hope that the ich will disappear with him in the tank. I really do not want to leave my fish in QT any longer than they need to be however.. they are miserable!

Back