• $40 - $20 Gallon

Votes: 72 27.7%
  • $20 - $10 Gallon

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • Under $10 A Gallon

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters

RobbyG

I think it would be helpful for new people and even veterans to get an idea of what the average RC person has spent on setting up their system.

To make the Data have meaning for all of us it's got to be a PER GALLON DOLLAR AMOUNT. Not including money you have spent to maintain the tank, JUST what you spent to set it up, Just the Equipment, Fish, Corals, Sand, Chiller, MH, etc.

So example if you Spent $5000 on a 200 Gallon system that's 5000/200 so $25 per Gallon.

DON'T INCLUDE THE SUMP WATER IN CALCULATION PLEASE.

Thanks for participating

Bad memory is a very common disease in Reefers
I thought about a "Lets Not Go There" Option, maybe a mod can add it at the top.

i've spent enough but i do feel that the size of the tank will skew your results. So you setup a 55g and go MH with a big skimmer tunze stuff etc etc, now take that same equip list and switch the tank to a 200g. same equipment different cost per gallon.

but for me i wish not to think about it anymore.

Tim

Yes thats true, the cost per gallon between certain jumps in size will skew the data, but under other conditions like going from 100 to 400 gallons or 55gal to 200 gallons the data evens back out as the equipment price soars again when you move up in Gallonage by more than a multiple of 2. The funny part is that with my 90 Gallon Tank I am now seeing how easy it would have been to go to 180 Gallons, my wife would have left me but it would have been almost the same cost :) hmm tough decision :D

For a simple survey I could not think of a better way than cost per gallon, it would have been nice to have a 2 array poll that could include the actual tank sizes.

I think the Poll is still giving us a good idea of what kind of cash it takes to setup a tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6963986#post6963986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zapata41
i've spent enough but i do feel that the size of the tank will skew your results. So you setup a 55g and go MH with a big skimmer tunze stuff etc etc, now take that same equip list and switch the tank to a 200g. same equipment different cost per gallon.

but for me i wish not to think about it anymore.

Tim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6968683#post6968683 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nathan
$5,000.00 per 180g

I've spend almost that much on a 30g. I'm crazy though. True, I think smaller tanks cost a decent amount of money to set up. In my case with my smaller tanks, I usually deck them out enough to handle a tank 4 times their size (simply cause I like equipment). Also, tanks 40g and under usually don't have speciallized equipment so you end up buying stuff for a 100g tank and putting it on something smaller. Same initial setup cost, smaller size.

I would estimate about $5600 for my 225gl.
That is WITHOUT livestock, rock, salt, carbon, test kits, food, bulbs replaced over the years, RO/DI Filter replacement, supplements, etc, etc......

If I were to include those it would probably be double the figure I put up above.

If your going to set up a nice tank be prepared to shell out a few thousand dollars.

You should at least include the Rocks Fish etc that you used in your initial setup. The prices need to reflect a complete New system.

all told, my 75 cost about 4000 to really get setup right with a chiller, rocks, fish, etc etc ad nauseum.

I think that it would have cost about the same to do a 150+ tank.

Did not want to know. Got a little here and got a little there. If you knew what everything was going to cost up front, you may not even get started. It was a lot easier doing it on a pay as you go plan. After a while you get use to spending a 100. here and 100. there. But 5K is about right for an average set up.

SCR thats true but some people start without proper funding and end up with dead fish, best they know what there getting into rather than to have the Animals suffer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6963722#post6963722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobbyG
Bad memory is a very common disease in Reefers
I thought about a "Lets Not Go There" Option, maybe a mod can add it at the top.

yeah that's funny that you used the words "bad memory" and "reefers" in the same sentence referring to the other hahaah

I guess I'm one of the few that am glad I participated in this poll I actually thought it was way higher than $1300 for my 37 gallon :dance:

spent $5000 so far on my 82 gallon display, which actually has 190g total system volume.

I spent about $4000 on my 32 gallon m-tank =P

Ive spent 1300 dollars on my 29g since Jan of this year and i got lots more to spend on. my project probably will cost me another 2 grand. Then im off to 250 gallons :)

$3500 for initial setup of 92 corner w/ no LR, sand or livestock. all together 3 years later i have to be between $8000-9000. i don't even think about it anymore.

I just figured it up the other day for a guy. All equipment, rock, livestock tests, chemicals, food, with a lot of good deals on livestock from a local reefer along the way.....3,100 in my 38 gal.....and rising.

Back