How often do I need to clean the pump in my Biocube?

Jonna43

I have a 32g Biocube. I do a water change every 2 weeks (give or take 1-2 days), and it's usually about a 10% change. Do I need to pull the pump out and clean it every time? If not, how often should I do it? I wanted to try and figure it out myself, because it seems unnecessary to do it every time, however, I'm fearful of causing problems by NOT cleaning it, so I never skip it...which makes it pretty tough to figure out on my own...lol. Any help/advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! Thanks so much...

Cleaning return pumps is a every 6 months task for me. I suggest they can be cleaned too often, as the plastic bits holding the impeller in are often quite tight, and constantly opening and closing it probably causes undue wear and tear. However, I grant that 6 months is probably on the long side. I would aim for somewhere between 1-6 months.

Now, powerheads that are lit and have algae growing on them, should probably be cleaned closer to monthly.

It depends. usually what happens is that calcium deposits on the impeller shaft and the impeller stops turning. This happens much more frequently if you are dosing carbonate rather than bicarbonate to keep alkalinity up. If this happens soak the shaft in vinegar for a few minutes and the calcium will come off the shaft. My return pump has never been cleaned and this ones been in service for 2.5 years. circulation pumps need cleaning 6-9 months because they are exposed to light and get gobs of coralline algae built up all over them.

Back