How should I set up my powerheads?

Ktreece

I have a 30Gal and a few members suggested that I pick up a new powerhead (Koralia 2) due to the little water flow I was getting from my old Meiko PH-601 (I can't find any specs on it). I put the powerhead in and can't figure out how to place it for best performance. My clown is swimming all over the place and I can't figure out if he's happy or if it's too much power for him....

Should I set up the new powerhead to go off with my daytime lights?

Also, I can't really figure out how to properly place my old filter so it puts movement towards the top of the tank since the head doesn't rotate much and there's an intake on every side which causes lots of air bubbles.

Pics of how it's currently setup.

23sf9lc.jpg

I have two of those in my 46g and it's kind of a trial and error thing. I set mine up to meet the flow requirements of the coral I have. Basicly you just have to keep playing with it untill it seems right to you

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411000#post15411000 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dawaterboy
I have two of those in my 46g and it's kind of a trial and error thing. I set mine up to meet the flow requirements of the coral I have. Basicly you just have to keep playing with it untill it seems right to you

See, I don't know what to look for to tell if it's not set up right or not.

Fishing swimming into current is natural. So the more he's swimming around (not near the top) the better.

That's not a Koralia either - unless they JUST recently switched the color of the blades. Koralia's are blue - yours is green.

A majority of people here don't like them - the powerhead you have.

It looks fine, position wise. How's the other one working for the surface? The top of the water should be ripply and look like tiny little waves.

Run powerheads 24/7.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411101#post15411101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iFisch
Fishing swimming into current is natural. So the more he's swimming around (not near the top) the better.

That's not a Koralia either - unless they JUST recently switched the color of the blades. Koralia's are blue - yours is green.

A majority of people here don't like them - the powerhead you have.

It looks fine, position wise. How's the other one working for the surface? The top of the water should be ripply and look like tiny little waves.

Run powerheads 24/7.

The box says "Hydor Koralia 2"

Majority of the people don't like what, the Koralia? or my old one?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411101#post15411101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iFisch
The top of the water should be ripply and look like tiny little waves. Run powerheads 24/7.
this is the correct answer

i was having the same questions with my powerhead but for my 36 gal what ive done and it seems to keep fish and coral happy is i have 2 koralia 1's and placed them near the top of the tank and put them on opposite ends and this keeps the surface moving rapidly for gas echange and also keeps the current pushing off each other and flowing through the tank... it also made it where i could fill my tank up and not have the inch or two with no water like i see in your picture

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411212#post15411212 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shaggy5687
i was having the same questions with my powerhead but for my 36 gal what ive done and it seems to keep fish and coral happy is i have 2 koralia 1's and placed them near the top of the tank and put them on opposite ends and this keeps the surface moving rapidly for gas echange and also keeps the current pushing off each other and flowing through the tank... it also made it where i could fill my tank up and not have the inch or two with no water like i see in your picture

The inch is evaporation, I fixed that as soon as I took the picture.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411138#post15411138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ktreece
The box says "Hydor Koralia 2"

Majority of the people don't like what, the Koralia? or my old one?

Where did you buy it from? Is the propeller of the powerhead green or blue?

Blue propeller = Koralia

Green propeller = chinese knock-off

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411232#post15411232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ktreece
The inch is evaporation, I fixed that as soon as I took the picture.

my bad i know i just used to leave it low so there was no film over the top but once i set up the heads it was gone so i raised the water level

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411244#post15411244 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iFisch
Where did you buy it from? Is the propeller of the powerhead green or blue?

Blue propeller = Koralia

Green propeller = chinese knock-off

Are you serious? My fish store.

Their website shows the prop in white,black, red...

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411300#post15411300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ktreece

From Hydor's site:

18c5006036baf53bc046e6fd323b61f6.jpg

It should have a red piece that connects the pump to the magnet. A red knobby thing that pushes into the magnet piece.

I have never seen a true Koralia with green impellers. However I am aware of chinese knock-off's with green impellers. Which is why I asked.

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2008/12/10/tunze-knockoffs-streaming-in-from-china-koralias-too/

And there's a big thread here on RC somewhere about them.

I've heard: lots of stray voltage, noisy pumps, pumps breaking down, etc.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411300#post15411300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ktreece

Their website shows the prop in white,black, red...

Right. Because they have pumps from "tiny" to HUGE. Not the same impeller is used on all models.

Green impeller usually means it's a knock-off.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411335#post15411335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iFisch
From Hydor's site:

18c5006036baf53bc046e6fd323b61f6.jpg

It should have a red piece that connects the pump to the magnet. A red knobby thing that pushes into the magnet piece.

I have never seen a true Koralia with green impellers. However I am aware of chinese knock-off's with green impellers. Which is why I asked.

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2008/12/10/tunze-knockoffs-streaming-in-from-china-koralias-too/

And there's a big thread here on RC somewhere about them.

I've heard: lots of stray voltage, noisy pumps, pumps breaking down, etc.

It came in an identical box with manual and all. It has the red piece that connects it. Hmm, still interesting. I wonder how I can tell for sure.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411354#post15411354 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ktreece
It came in an identical box with manual and all. It has the red piece that connects it. Hmm, still interesting. I wonder how I can tell for sure.

Call/e-mail Hydor and ask if they make a Hydor Koralia 2 with a green impeller.

That will solve the problem.

someone told me its an expensive hobby and you would hate to loose something cuz you didnt want to spend the little extra ( and in no way am i saying or implying you did this) ... it sucks that they make all this knock off crap and you have to worry about if its going to be legit or not

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15411368#post15411368 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shaggy5687
someone told me its an expensive hobby and you would hate to loose something cuz you didnt want to spend the little extra ( and in no way am i saying or implying you did this) ... it sucks that they make all this knock off crap and you have to worry about if its going to be legit or not

No kidding. The cash wasn't an issue. I was actually about to buy one on eBay for quite a bit cheaper and ended up paying 47 bucks for this one.

It looks identical to this one and even has the same sticker on the top in the same location, but the prop is green.

HD00591_1.jpg

Oh, the front of mine looks a little different because I put that little add on device on the front that was in the box. I don't know what it's for, but I figured why not put it on.

Here's another picture of mine. You can't really see it because of the light, but that little ball that pivots the filter is red.

sztowh.jpg

I bought a Koralia 2 a few weeks ago and it has a green impeller. All packaging/manual/label look legit.

Back