How to avoid a flood: rules to live by.

Good advice. Plan for failure, because everything does, eventually.

My current system, simplicity:

RO/DI system mounted securely, waste water plumbed to drain, plumbed to manual valve at ATO reservoir, then to float valve in reservoir. 5g reservoir. Only filled, via manual ball valve, when home. Water alarm under reservoir. Float valve there in case I forget to shut off manual valve in time. Alarm is there in case both fail.

5g reservoir not enough volume to hurt ~75 gallon system, even if it all dumped in at once. Plenty of capacity, not enough volume to dramatically impact salinity, it's safe.

Herbie drain from tank to sump. Capacity of 1" 2nd drain exceeds capability of return pump. Return pump compartment small, will pump itself dry, even if both overflows are completely stopped, before overflowing display... even with the extra 5g in the ATO reservoir.

Stand is custom, oversize, and designed with 'bathtub' sump area. Sealed, then epoxy coated, stand will hold ~30g of water, and as mentioned, has a water alarm in it.

I've considered adding a bulkhead to the sump area, and drilling a 1" hole through the floor, so that water in the sump can drain under the house into the crawlspace in an emergency... rather have it there than soaking into my living room carpet :) The only reason I haven't done it is because I'd be adding a route for critters from the crawlspace into the house.. maybe a loose plug of some sort that the water would push out, if needed? Hm....

Good advice. Plan for failure, because everything does, eventually.

My current system, simplicity:

RO/DI system mounted securely, waste water plumbed to drain, plumbed to manual valve at ATO reservoir, then to float valve in reservoir. 5g reservoir. Only filled, via manual ball valve, when home. Water alarm under reservoir. Float valve there in case I forget to shut off manual valve in time. Alarm is there in case both fail.

5g reservoir not enough volume to hurt ~75 gallon system, even if it all dumped in at once. Plenty of capacity, not enough volume to dramatically impact salinity, it's safe.

Herbie drain from tank to sump. Capacity of 1" 2nd drain exceeds capability of return pump. Return pump compartment small, will pump itself dry, even if both overflows are completely stopped, before overflowing display... even with the extra 5g in the ATO reservoir.

Stand is custom, oversize, and designed with 'bathtub' sump area. Sealed, then epoxy coated, stand will hold ~30g of water, and as mentioned, has a water alarm in it.

I've considered adding a bulkhead to the sump area, and drilling a 1" hole through the floor, so that water in the sump can drain under the house into the crawlspace in an emergency... rather have it there than soaking into my living room carpet :) The only reason I haven't done it is because I'd be adding a route for critters from the crawlspace into the house.. maybe a loose plug of some sort that the water would push out, if needed? Hm....

You could probably put a check valve of sorts in the drain to your crawlspace. It'll let water out, but critters won't be able to go the other way.

Back