how to boost coralline algae growth

MarcoPolo

Hi all...I know that coralline algae need light, calcium and alkalinity to strive. What should the alkalinity be to promote good coralline algae growth? Any other tips you have on how to turn my tank into a glorious "pink / red" coralline algae heaven?

alk. 7-11dkh
cal. 420-450ppm
mag. 1300-1400ppm

time

you keep all those parameters in check and in time you will be posting how to get rid of it. :D

hope so! one question please. I use a PH/Alk supplement to keep my alk at a minimum of 7 dkh. Noticed that I need to add the supplement (which I mixe into RO before adding to the tank) several times a week as the Alk otherwise drops fast. Is this normal? Asking because the supplement I use is high quality..but expensive. What's the trick to keep alk in range?

Look into baking soda for supplementing the alk. There's no such thing as 'High Quality' alk... alk is alk. There is such a thing as a 'High Quality' Rip-Off.... that's what you've been getting.

Mix 1 cup Baking Soda per gallon of RO/DI water. Play with the amounts to keep the levels right. Guessing a cup every other day or so.

IME once coralline starts to grow on the glass, scrape it off with a razorblade. It will actually cause an explosion coralline since you have now just put tiny flakes of it in the water column. You could also see if a fellow reefer could give you some glass shavings to add to your tank.

Keep you parms in check and watch out for high phosphates. I have noticed in the past that phosphates inhibit coralline growth. Seeding your tank is also a good idea.

Back