How to build a sump

WallyBackm

Hello all.

I have a 72 bow. I purchased an overflow box, a 15 gallon for a sump, and a return pump.

What is the best sump to design here--3 compartments? If so, how many baffles and at what spacing ? anyone have any pics? Do I simply run one line from the overflow box into the first compartment where my skimmer will be (I understand the line should go in at a 45 degree)? Then just one line return to tank?

Any advice? Thanks

Heres a pic of how I did mine with a 30 gal. It has a skimmer section then 3 baffles. Next is a refuge area then another baffle and then the return section. You may not have enough room in a 15 to do this but it will give you an idea. The 3 baffles are best to help eliminate any micro air bubbles. Tank line from overflow dumps into skimmer area and return to tank is in the last compartment

78452000_0002zz__Small_.jpg

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html <-- hes got some good sump related info.

I tried to silicone one of my baffles and it made a huge mess -- lesons learned.

After that I read this post [http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Baffles/baffles.htm] which said to use Plexiglas and EPDM weatherstripping. It worked great and allows me to move things around later as my need changes.

Make sure to cut the baffles close to the same size of the tank and use thick plexiglas -- because there will be a lot of water pressure on them.

Good luck

Hey thanks guys for the advice.

Phyxius, i see you have 3 baffles from the skimmer chamber to middle chamber. Is there a recommended height from water level and then from bottom of tank?

Next question: It seems that you have 2 lines from the return pump--one up to tank and the othr going to the left? what is the point of that one going to the left?

How many inlets into tank from return pump do you recommend?

Lastly, I heard that a hole should be drilled in the lines just below the water level. Which lines? Do you know?

Thanks to anyone who can answer. I start building tomorrow.

I think people usually spaces out baffles 1' all around.

I believe the one going to the left just recirculates some water in the sump to reduce flow in the main tank.

I think the holes you are referring to are the siphon break holes -- drilled in the return lines. But I'm not sure where to drill them.

Just tossing some idea's out there, not speaking for phyxius.

You want enough room left in the refugium to allow the refugium to fill up but not overfill should the power to the return sump fail.

A small hole in the return line above the water level is good, this will break a reverse siphon to the sump if the power fails.

Above the water line? Won't this cause water to flow out from the hole above water line while pump is working?

Just below the water line would allow only a bit to flow back to sump in event of power failure...

WallyBackm,
I have my baffles about 1 1/2" apart and the middle 1 1/2" above the bottom. I chose the final height of the baffles after figuring drain back from the tank and skimmer if power went out and had them cut to match. I can kill the power to everything and the water stays 2-3" below the rim of the tank even after back siphoning some and the water release from the skimmer and chiller
Like the others mentioned have a small drain hole in the lines or you could flood as it siphons your tank. It should be just at or slightly above the water line. Its not a real big hole so it wont throw water out all over. I drilled mine slightly angled down so water goes out towards the water surface.

I have 2 return lines. The one going straight up is the return for the tank and the one going left is to my chiller. It sits in a cabinet next to the tanks stand(to the left. My tank line goes up into a dual loc line so it flows out in both directions in tank

I have a slightly bigger pump than needed to help push the water to the skimmer and tank but have a ball valve to throttle both lines back if needed

WallyBackm,
Its just 1 baffle at the last part. I can play with the water drop height by adjusting the pumps ball valve so it pulls more or less. I can also move the height of the auto top off sensor to make it fill it up less or more if needed

Back