How to clean tubing?

jjencek

I am starting to get some mold in my favorite silicon tubing used for siphoning and overall moving water around. I would prefer to clean it and not throw it away.

What is the best way to clean it? I was thinking bleach followed by water rinse and finally vinegar rinse. Would that work? Is there a recommended method?

When i have that issue i put paper toweling wadded up in it then push it thu it with a long wooden dowel rod after i've ran water thu it & that cleans it squeaky clean.

I've cleaned out my 50' python siphon a few times over the years. First thing I do is run it with bleach - connect a power head to the end, drop it in a bucket, and put the other end in too. Go do something else fro a couple hours. Then I rinse the heck out of it by just hooking it to the sink and letting it run the normal way. That seems to do a pretty good job. If there is still gunk in it, I will run my plumbing snake through it and pull it out with a small amount of old rag tied to the end. Rinse it again in the sink and it looks brand new.

I got the bleach, but never considered a mechanic way. The dowel rod or the plumbing snake is a good idea.

I clean everything with citric acid. Pumps, skimmer, water change tubes and Brute buckets. It's milder than vinegar but just as effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back