how to clean used tanks and filters?

boostedbg

Hello everyone, I just got a killer deal on a custom stand that houses 2- 55 gallon 2- 30 gallon and 3- 10 gallon tanks. they have been drained of water but are calcified and just overall dirty. I used to have a 55 gallon reef tank but i started from scratch and everything was new and clean. I remember when i sold my last set up i used vinegar to clean the corraline algae build up, but after the vinegar scrub what would be safe to wash the rest of the tank with? bleach or dish soap?

also how should I clean the filters? a couple of them are bio wheel setups and the smaller ones are tetra whisper filters i believe

No dish soap Only acids IE vinegar or bleach
I usually fill tank and run twith pumps ect... for a couple days and drain and do the same thing w/ winger and drain again and do it with tap water.

how much bleach/vinegar should i use per gallon?
or should i just scrub it with bleach and vinegar and then run it filled only with clean water?

I use straight white vinegar: cleans pumps and plumbing and tanks like new overnight. I just plunk whatever I want to clean into whatever I want to clean, make the vinegar as straight from the bottle as I can afford (Costco sells it pretty cheap) and let 'er run.

It's perfectly safe if just rinsed. I dose a little into my tank on purpose, as a carbon source. Corals are happy with it.

Back