How to get to hawaii cheap?

SOLANA34

I would really ove to dive the reef in hawaii just wondering what the rates are these days and how cheap can I get there!

000-3d-model-boat02.jpg

That was my idea when I reat the title. I go to Hi at least twice a year, if you look around, even just on Hawaiian airlines web site, I have found tickets for between $400 and $500 round trip, the most I've paid it $800 round trip.

As far as when you are there the charter boats usually charge $125 plus any gear or tanks you need to rent. That includes 2 dives, usually one around 100 ft and a second, much shallower dive. I have taken the dive charters in the past, they are fun and the sites are good, I booked mine through Aaron's Dive shop, I don't have the numbers with me, but they are online. I haven't used them for a couple of years as I now dive with a commercial collector while I am there.

Personally, I like FL diving better. There are some tremendous drift dives out of Boynton Beach.

But, Hawaii is still on my llist of places to return to.

I'd say just watch the faires and snag 'em when they're cheap. You could always try a last minute trip (sometimes tickets are cheaper), but that is hard to plan.

Mileage card

Mileage card

We live on the East coast, and tickets to Hawaii are high. Our solution has been to use a United mileage card. We use it for everything, and pay it off every month. Been to Hawaii 6 times, and only paid for airfare the first time. They give you almost enough bonus miles the first time you use it to get a ticket. My avatar pic was from a trip to the Big Island.

Last edited:
+ 1 on the last minute airfare. If you have the flexibility, you will probably do better. My best deal came 3 days before departure. I gave a local travel agent that specializes in vacations a shot and they wowed me with quite the deal.

Rental cars however... can't get around that one. That's a killer.

We live on the East coast, and tickets to Hawaii are high. Our solution has been to use a United mileage card. We use it for everything, and pay it off every month. Been to Hawaii 6 times, and only paid for airfare the first time. They give you almost enough bonus miles the first time you use it to get a ticket. My avatar pic was from a trip to the Big Island.

Thank you for mentioning this. I just signed up and now I am going to do the same ;)

example 290RT lax-hnl 4-19-2010 - 4-26-2010 found it on hawaiianair.com punch in some dates then look at the rate calendar to see the rates for different days, you can get the best rates if your flexible.

the rental cars cost alot.

Not necessarily. I'm going to Kona next month and I got a rental car for 8 days for $12/day. With taxes and fees, it comes to just under $150. This is not a tiny little compact either, it's a "Mazda 6 or similar". I got this deal through Hotwire.com. I'm on their email list for promotional offers and they often have great stuff like this.

In contrast, I was in Iceland in March and looked for a rental car for one day. Couldn't find anything under $125/day. Now, that's an expensive rental car.

I'm on the west coast, and we have a huge advantage on flights to Hawaii. In Seattle, I can fly direct to Maui, Oahu and Kona through either Hawaiian or Alaska airlines. I got my direct flight ticket to Kona for around $480. If I was going to Oahu or Maui, I could have got them for around $390.

Back