How to light a 3ft Bookshelf tank

dianapickles

Hi :)

I'm having issues finding a reasonable lighting solution to my new 3ft bookshelf tank.

It currently has a track lighting system with some LED pods. It's a similar system to the blue planet track lighting system, the pods are identical. The one Xenia I have in my tank is absolutely loving the lighting at the moment, but I have been previously told that this lighting will do absolutely nothing for any corals as the wattage is too low.

The light is about 120cm long and has 16 of those LED pods in. There are 8 lunar blue pods, and 8 cool white pods and I think a few colour enhancing pods too. I'm only planning on keeping Softies and LPS and not really considering SPS.

The dimensions of the tank are 90cm(L)x20cm(W)x24cm(H). I had this lighting on my 200 gallon but my corals absolutely hated it, however that tank was super deep and was told in an old thread that this lighting will do absolutely nothing for coral.. With only 24cm in height, could this actually be okay for coral or do I need to upgrade to "œproper" LED's to maintain coral.

I have no clue what lighting is good for a 90cm long shallow reef tank as most of the units seem extremely over priced and overkill for such a shallow tank.

Attachments

• 145063DF-710C-4A76-90E5-D314CB94D148.jpeg
    145063DF-710C-4A76-90E5-D314CB94D148.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 3
Have definitely considered getting 2 AI primes but my eye was caught on the nemolight which is attractive due to it's price. Really not sure which to go with.

Back