How to Lower alk in new batch of salt

Paulairduck

I LOVE FREE FRAGS!!!
Premium Member
I switched to Reef Crystals salt and was wondering what was the safe way to lower the alk. At 1.026 the alk 10.0 and calcium 440. I want to lower the alk to 9.0 on 50 gallons of water.

You could slowly add a dilute sol'n of a decent grade HCl, but is there a particular reason you're worried about a difference of 1 dKH?

My tank was sitting around 10dkh after the first waterchange. I lowered my 2 part by 20ml a day on alk, which took about two weeks to lower to 9 dkh and my chalices and corals are showing way better colors, polyp extension, and the tissue on the chalices are nice and puffy

I would find it hard to believe that a 1 dKH drop will make that much difference as well, but if you want to experiment and see what results you get:

You can use Muriatic Acid (approximately 33%-35% HCL) bought from a hardware store, you will need to use approximately 0.123 ml of the Muriatic Acid to reduce 1 gallon of salt mix 1 dKH. I would only use half the amount at first, stir your salt mix thoroughly to allow CO2 to dissipate and then test your result to make sure.

So, if you want to reduce 20 gallons of salt mix say 5 dKH, than you would want to use:

20 X 5 X 0.123 = 12.3 ml of Muriatic Acid (approx. 33% HCL) to reduce 20 gal. 5 dKH (Use 1/2 of this amount to start with).

You need to mix the salt mix throughly to remove the CO2 produced from the reaction before you test for alk & add it to your tank.

I would not recommend reducing alk using this method in your tank with coral, fish and other organisms.

Caution needs to be taken when using Muriatic Acid, it will irritate the skin and can burn the eyes. Follow all labeled directions on the Muriatic Acid container purchased. You need to use Muriatic Acid in well ventilated areas. Never add water to the acid, alway add acid slowly to water to prevent possible explosions and sudden release of deadly gases.

if you use muriatic acid you will also lower your ph. Go to a pool supply store for the acid..a gallon is less than $4 to drop your kh 2 points will lower your ph down to 5...not good, you then have to add an airstone to add oxygen to the water to raise PH back up without also raising kh

You could also switch to a different salt mix or blend your Reef Crystals with a lower Alk mix like Oceanic.

Adding muriatic acid will drop the pH, but it'll rise back as the buffering system adjusts to the input. Aeration won't help with the process, but it won't hurt, either.

Thats sounds like a big deal , muratic acid, what if I do 25 gallon water changes so it won't change the alk level on a 200 gallon system

Right now tank is sitting at 9.1 dkh and my colors and growth look great

I have 50 gallons of reef crystals salt waiting, current results on the new batch 10.0 dkh, 430 cal, 1340 mag at 1.026 salinity

Interesting. I'm not convinced what you're seeing is an alkalinity issue. Could it be something else?

You are right on that issue. I was using sachem aquavitro salt and I could not get my calcium above 330. I was having tons of problems with calcium precipitation on all my tunze pumps and my Colors and growth were mediocre at best. I have switched to reef crystals and have the parameters improve right away no issues with the pumps and the calcium has remained steady for a month.

Glad you're able to figure this out. :beer: I've never seen alk affect SPS like that, except maybe less color on some when dKH dipped below 8.

Back