How to make live/base rock??

bmw_zoan

Does anybody know how to make base rock, I sometimes hesitate to buy live rock at the LFS because I have had some aiptasia and algae problems and I dont want to go through that again and besides I want to make some cool designs for my tank but I really dont know how to make it. I have looked on the internet but some of the methods seem to complicated for me to make I'm not very old and dont have a lot of experience on me. Does anybody know how to make base rock that could help me out?

Hey, I understand how expensive this hobby can be. Any DIY projects that we can make can cut costs pretty drastically. Here is a website that is informative in how to make base rock: garf.org. Or you can search on youtube and they also have DIY demonstrations of making base rock. The one thing however is that you will still need to purchase some live rock that is already seeded to cure your made base rock. You wouldn't have to purchase as much though.

You don't need any live rock to cure the DIY rock, what you might need some live rock for would be to seed the DIY rock. That wouldn't even really have to be the case either if you have live sand and already have bacteria in the system. HTH

i have seen it done with portland cement and large rock salt. the rock salt will desolve during the curing process makeing the rock really porous.

also add sea shells or agagonite sand to the mix. Let it sit for at least 48 hours for it to harden. Then let the rock soak in for at least a couple of months till the Ph drops. Then seed/cure with live rock or sand.

Thank you guys, I think I didnt explain my self pretty well, I already have live rock on my tank I dont want to make Live rock I just want to make base rock (I already know that eventually it turns to live rock) and design my own unique shapes for my tank because its really hard to find what I am looking for at the LFS

Then if you are not in a hurry, this is the perfect project. You can take your time and design some real cool shapes. It will also allow you to see what recipes work best. One mix that is largely popular is using white Portland cement. Jeez, now you got me wanting to do this!

Ive done this. Works well. I used rock salt but I think it can make it too porous and frail.

Pretty easy just make a good thick mix (not to runny). Create shapes in sand pour in the mix let it cure. You get more interesting results if you make a shape in the sand pour in the mix cover it with sand leaving some still exposed and add more mix. Slowly building it in all three dimensions.

For the mix I would use some rocksalt but mainly on the outside becuase it will leave u with real cool texture, Argonite, best thing if you can get it are plastic shavings, live rock rubble.

Feel free to experiment with what you put in the mix and how you create your shapes thats part of the fun. It takes a few days to cure but when you your rock out of the sand and you do not like just toss it. There cheap and easy to make.

After a couple weeks you will have a collection of pieces that are really interesting I went for long branching tonga like structures.

The crappy part is they take months of soaking in water to leach off the cement chemicals.

Good luck take pictures and share.

If you do not want to make rock why not just buy "œdead" rock from Marco Rocks or BFS? You can get 25 pounds for $62 with free shipping from Marco. I think that is the cheapest. Too easy! ;)

Jay

Back