How to properly clean rock and put back in tank

jayblock

I currently have some large live rock with mushrooms on them. I want to rid my tank of all mushrooms and do sps tank. I was thinking of taking rock out and want to make sure mushrooms wont come back. Can someone advise whats the best method. I don't have bad algae or other pests to get rid of so not sure if bleach is necessary? Vinegar? I would like to put rock in as soon as possible so it can reestablish itself free from ugly mushrooms.

I would just put the rock in a bucket or an ice chest full of salt water and try to remove what you can with a razor blade or something Once you've done that, take a wire brush and scrub the crap out of the rock. This should remove any remaining tissue. There's really no need to kill everything on/within the rock IMO. GL.

i agree with Cloak.
Scrape them off. I use a small flat chisel and scrape under them, If they are nice looking you may be able to get credit for them at the LFS. . They would be great for a nano tank.

Scraping them off is what most people would do but then it is very possible to miss a single spec that will grow back. Get rid of the rock and you get rid of the mushrooms

i would sell the rock with the mushrooms and leather on it . post it on here for 100. think thats a good deal

Back