How to recharge DI resin

The sheer curtain is a great idea! I like that much better than the felt material I used..

I bet the sheer material would make a decent filter sock as well. Hmmm.

Tyler

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13373539#post13373539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dngspot
Thanks I was glad to help,

dngspot,
I missed maybe as to how much is a few cartridges of resin saved up is to recharge? As how much was that in the zip bag? Is there as limit to how much to do at a time to your process. As 3 lbs of resin say.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13090854#post13090854 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
if you watch the video a page or 2 back you will see that is how I seperate mine.

What did you have to hold the bottle up as you did that?

I usually do the equivalent of two 10 inch cartridges at one time. I did five pounds once, I used two 1 gallon containers, seen holding the bottle up you are asking about.
The zip lock bag has about 2.5 lbs in it. Each canister holds about 1.25 lbs. I have found that using the upside down bottle method I can fit 2 cartridges in it and that is about all.
The bottle fits inside the neck of the gallon container pretty well. What you see is all that I did for support.

The directions are for 1 cartridge only. If you are going to do two, you must double all that is mentioned.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13465827#post13465827 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dngspot
I usually do the equivalent of two 10 inch cartridges at one time. I did five pounds once, I used two 1 gallon containers, seen holding the bottle up you are asking about.
The zip lock bag has about 2.5 lbs in it. Each canister holds about 1.25 lbs. I have found that using the upside down bottle method I can fit 2 cartridges in it and that is about all.
The bottle fits inside the neck of the gallon container pretty well. What you see is all that I did for support.

The directions are for 1 cartridge only. If you are going to do two, you must double all that is mentioned.

dngspot,
OK that is what I am looking for that the directions is for one 10" refill cartridge. The picture of the zip bag was not sure how much was in it.
Now as you said here to do 2 cartridges of resin in one upside down bottle = double of lye mix that will be 22oz of RO/DI water to 6 fluid oz of lye and double acid mix that will be 12 oz. of muratic acid to 12 oz of RO/DI water. Also double the rinse with 2 gallons of RO/DI water for anion and 2 more gallons for cations. Also do you hold the upside down bottle in your hands or have it mounted as the other person showed on his video?

Last edited:
I have been holding the bottle and opening the valve over the filter and colander, with my hands, until the bottom layer of resin (cation) has fallen through. I then close the valve and place the bottle back into the 1 gallon container. I then rinse 1 gallon through the resin) in the colander. Then put that resin in another container and add acid to it. Then I drain the resin (anion) that is still in the bottle and put it in the colander with the cleaned filter. I rinse that with 1 gallon of water and then place it in a zip lock bag. I then do the same thing to the resin (cation) in the acid.
You have the acid water and lye water mixes right. All measurements are fluid ounces. Not by scale weight.
I use a couple of mesured shot glass for this.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13473170#post13473170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dngspot
I have been holding the bottle and opening the valve over the filter and colander, with my hands, until the bottom layer of resin (cation) has fallen through. I then close the valve and place the bottle back into the 1 gallon container. I then rinse 1 gallon through the resin) in the colander. Then put that resin in another container and add acid to it. Then I drain the resin (anion) that is still in the bottle and put it in the colander with the cleaned filter. I rinse that with 1 gallon of water and then place it in a zip lock bag. I then do the same thing to the resin (cation) in the acid.
You have the acid water and lye water mixes right. All measurements are fluid ounces. Not by scale weight.
I use a couple of mesured shot glass for this.

dngspot,
So only 1 gallon to rinse I do not have to double it? Can I use tap water to rinse then using RO/DI water will that hurt?

Use only RO/DI water for the process. If you can fill you filter with the double batch then you only need to rinse one gallon through it. If cannot fit all of your resin in the filter and need to do two, you need to rinse another gallon through that filter also.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13475619#post13475619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dngspot
Use only RO/DI water for the process. If you can fill you filter with the double batch then you only need to rinse one gallon through it. If cannot fit all of your resin in the filter and need to do two, you need to rinse another gallon through that filter also.

dngspot,
I will need to write these note you said down on the process.
the lye bottle you mix in is that plastic or glass because of the heat?

Last edited:
The bottle I use is the same bottle seen in the first pics. It is what the lye came in, from Lowe's. All containers that I use are plastic.

The process with use of the new tools. Also for two 10 inch canisters.

The process with use of the new tools. Also for two 10 inch canisters.

1. Fill a five gallon container with cool tap water.

2. Add 24 fluid oz of RO/DI water in a container. Then put 6 fluid oz of Lye in the container and cover.

3. Place the lye solution in the five gallon container with cool tap water. Let it cool a bit then shake it, when it heats up then put back in the water. Continue doing this until the lye does not get hot after it is shaken. Be aware that the bottle has some pressure on it at first, if needed loosen the top carefully to let the pressure off. Usually when the bottle is cool it is safe to loosen the top do not do this right after you have shaken the bottle.

4. Poor 12 fluid oz of RO/DI water in a container and then add 12 fluid oz of hydrochloric acid. Set this aside.

5. Put two 10 inch canisters of resin in the upside down bottle with the valve attached to the neck. Once the lye has cooled, poor it on top of the resin and stir.

6. Empty the 5 gallon container with the cool tap water. Prepare a colander with a square of window sheer. This will be your filter. Place the colander over the 5 gallon container.

7. After the resin has separated and you see about a 2 inch gap between them open the valve until the lower resin (cation) has drained. Then close the valve and set the (anion) aside.

8. If you drained the cation over the colander then rinse with 1 gallon of RO/DI water. If you drained in a container, put the cation in the colander and rinse.

9. Place the rinsed cation in a clean container and add the acid mixture to it and stir. If the resin has a color changing dye, the cation will change color when the acid is added.

10. Clean the colander and filter, and then place over the 5 gallon container. Empty the anion, in the upside down bottle assembly, onto the colander. Rinse with 1 gallon of RO/DI water.

11. Put the rinsed anion in a zip lock bag. It is done.

12. Clean the colander and filter again then place back on the 5 gallon container that has the drained lye solution in it. Empty the container, with the cation, onto the colander. Then rinse with 1 gallon of RO/DI water.

13 Put the cation in a separate zip lock bag for those who run separate cation and anon canisters. If you use mixed resin then mix the cation with the anion.

Re: The process with use of the new tools. Also for two 10 inch canisters.

Re: The process with use of the new tools. Also for two 10 inch canisters.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13478569#post13478569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dngspot
1. Fill a five gallon container with cool tap water.

2. Add 24 fluid oz of RO/DI water in a container. Then put 6 fluid oz of Lye in the container and cover.

3. Place the lye solution in the five gallon container with cool tap water. Let it cool a bit then shake it, when it heats up then put back in the water. Continue doing this until the lye does not get hot after it is shaken. Be aware that the bottle has some pressure on it at first, if needed loosen the top carefully to let the pressure off. Usually when the bottle is cool it is safe to loosen the top do not do this right after you have shaken the bottle.

4. Poor 12 fluid oz of RO/DI water in a container and then add 12 fluid oz of hydrochloric acid. Set this aside.

5. Put two 10 inch canisters of resin in the upside down bottle with the valve attached to the neck. Once the lye has cooled, poor it on top of the resin and stir.

6. Empty the 5 gallon container with the cool tap water. Prepare a colander with a square of window sheer. This will be your filter. Place the colander over the 5 gallon container.

7. After the resin has separated and you see about a 2 inch gap between them open the valve until the lower resin (cation) has drained. Then close the valve and set the (anion) aside.

8. If you drained the cation over the colander then rinse with 1 gallon of RO/DI water. If you drained in a container, put the cation in the colander and rinse.

9. Place the rinsed cation in a clean container and add the acid mixture to it and stir. If the resin has a color changing dye, the cation will change color when the acid is added.

10. Clean the colander and filter, and then place over the 5 gallon container. Empty the anion, in the upside down bottle assembly, onto the colander. Rinse with 1 gallon of RO/DI water.

11. Put the rinsed anion in a zip lock bag. It is done.

12. Clean the colander and filter again then place back on the 5 gallon container that has the drained lye solution in it. Empty the container, with the cation, onto the colander. Then rinse with 1 gallon of RO/DI water.

13 Put the cation in a separate zip lock bag for those who run separate cation and anon canisters. If you use mixed resin then mix the cation with the anion.

did you ever use a gallon jug instead of the soda bottle?

The only time that I used a gallon container is when I did large quantity recharges. I will no longer do it that way because the upside down bottle is so much faster than removing the anion with a turkey baster.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13481750#post13481750 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dngspot
The only time that I used a gallon container is when I did large quantity recharges. I will no longer do it that way because the upside down bottle is so much faster than removing the anion with a turkey baster.

Sorry, I should have said more as to which type of gallon would be a upside down bottle. The valve fits an windshield fluid gallon cut the bottom off and clean it out then you have a handle to hold on. The only thing is that they are not as clear as a soda bottle but you have more room for resin.

Also I was reading that you take the bottle mixing lye out of the water.I was thinking you let it float and shake in the water.

Thank you for typing it out I was going to add it to the Reefkeeper post that you had gave to them. I will save it in my file.
I try to buy same type of medias that have regeneration as nitrate and phosphate removers I recycle then to save money with prices on all things going up.

I did not know you can do this with DI resin thank you for telling us about this. I wonder what other things can be recycled that we use for our hobby!

I was At Walmart and got sheer by the yard cheaper for dollar a yard. Can you use the window sheer over again? If so how do you clean it?

Last edited:
I have used the window sheer for 3 different recharges. It is holding up well. So the answer is so far yes it can be used again.
I just noticed in that type up I misspelled "pour". Dang I hope all got the gist though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13483910#post13483910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dngspot
I have used the window sheer for 3 different recharges. It is holding up well. So the answer is so far yes it can be used again.
I just noticed in that type up I misspelled "pour". Dang I hope all got the gist though.

dngspot,
I need to get all the supplies together and when I have two 10" resin loads to do I will have it ready.

I need to ask the window sheer now you rinse it how do you put in the zip bag without dumping it all over the foor of it sticking to the sheer?

Last edited:
I take the clips off of the colander. I pick up the corners of the sheer and lift the filter with the resin out of the colander. I then put the resin in a container by releasing two of the corners of the sheer. Then I pick up the corners and take the sheer over to the sink and rinse with tap water.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13486110#post13486110 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dngspot
I take the clips off of the colander. I pick up the corners of the sheer and lift the filter with the resin out of the colander. I then put the resin in a container by releasing two of the corners of the sheer. Then I pick up the corners and take the sheer over to the sink and rinse with tap water.

Thanks that will save time. And thank you for your time.

Back