How to set up a local club?

jrp1588

Not sure if this would be the correct section, but bear with me.

I've been trying off and on for the past few years to set up a reef club in my area. I live in a Southern Indiana in a town of about 100k people, and a decent amount of reefers. I operate a Facebook group where people mostly buy and sell locally that has over 100 members, but any time I try to organize a meeting, only a handful express any interest.

I guess the biggest issue is, I have no idea what I'm doing. I've never been in a reef club. I don't even know what established clubs do in their meetings, much less how to get the ball rolling on a new one.

Anyone have tips on activities or ways to increase interest?

Ask people on your fb group what they would like from a club, then do that. Also, ask yourself that same question. What is it that makes you want a club? No reason to have a bunch of overhead just so you can say you have a club unless you're all getting something valuable out of it. What could you do in person that you can't do on fb?

IME organized clubs are on the decline.

Fair point. I guess I always read about people talking about their reef clubs as if they are an invaluable resource. I've put out a few open calls to contribute, but I've mostly just gotten offers to host a meeting. The owners of the LFS in my area have shown some interest in pitching in on setting up a club, but we haven't really had time to discuss it.

Back