huma huma triggers

tmoore

I am thinking about getting one, currently have a blue dot grouper
snowflake eel, and tomorrow I will put in a purple tang. In about 3-4 weeks I was thinking about putting one in or maybe a blue jaw trigger.

Cool fish. We have one (Rhinecanthus aculeatus) in a 125 gal. FO tank. It's definitely the smartest fish in the tank and can be hand fed. I'll hold a raw shrimp in the water and the humu will swim over and tear pieces off of it.

Great fish, but can take out a full cuc in hours. They are also slow growers. So get an appropriate sized one so your grouper doesn't eventually eat it.

I have had a huma in the past and I have a blue jaw now. Very different personalities between the two that I owned. My huma was really active, swimming all over the tank. In contrast, my blue jaw (male) is far more shy. Both eat well and are nice looking fish!

Vince

I had a small huma that also would eat out of my had, but always paced up and down or back and forth on the glass

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14856131#post14856131 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmoore
What do you have in the tank with the huma huma

A Cortez Rainbow Wrasse, a Yellow Tang and a grumpy Niger Trigger named "Enrique" (which is currently in QT).

The huma is the smallest of all the fish in our 125 gal. and can hold its own if its confronted. It'll usually just swim away from the Niger, but will stand up to the yellow tang. (the rainbow wrasse minds its own business). The huma is an agressive eater and will not let anyone steal its food.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14861249#post14861249 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NexDog
Is the Huma really that aggressive?

They can be. Triggers are all very individual in terms of personality. My picasso (huma huma) is very chill. He's not bothered any of my fish at all. This is only trigger I've had but based on the advice I've been given on this site more huma humas are aggressive than passive.

....and our huma will knock snails off of rocks and then just hover above and look at the poor snail lying upside down on the bottom of the tank. It won't try to eat the poor thing but just looks at it for a while like its laughing at the snail or something. ....what a knuckle head....

Back