Hurricane prep....

czieler

I was thinking I should by one of those battery powered pumps for each fish tank I have... I can't remember how much they are... .... but I was wondering.... would it be better to by a UPS?

You know... the kind you can get for a computer...and plug the pumps into that?

I wasn't sure how much power the pumps draw.... so I didn't know if this would be a viable alternative...or better than the battery backups.

I have a generator too....but I think after last yr...if one comes this way...we are heading north...so I'm trying to think ahead!

IMO the generator is the best way to go. Battery pump would be my second option, UPS 3rd. But if you head north, who's going to put gas in the generator or change batteries?

Heh...well I was thinking of the battery operated/UPS as the only backup if we head north. ( Wouldn't leave the generator running..heh) If we just have bad storms coming and it's not going to be a direct hit ... we'll stay. We have 22 trees in our yard though...so chances are always that one is going to fall and knock the power out...hence the generator. Heck..our power usually goes out at least once every summer for an extended time from some neighbor that decides to try and cut a tree down himself..and it lands on the power line.

As for the UPS and battery. That's what my question was. I have no idea how long either would last ... thought someone might have an idea. If we pack up and go for two-three days while storms were heading thru...I didn't know if the either would last that long. If I went the UPS route..and spent that money..I guess I could buy a high dollar one that would hold a charge longer... but I still wasn't sure if that was even feasible.

How long do the battery pumps usually last? I'm on good terms w/ my neighbors... so I'm guessing that if they stuck around... they would change batteries for me after any major storm ended til I got back.

Back