Hydrometer Issues! New one gives readings off the charts!

goodblasson

When I started up my tank about 2 years ago and at that time bought a hydometer. Never really questioned its readings. Just this week, I made an online order and bought a new hydrometer. I am totally confused, b/c the new one is giving me readings off the charts but my old one is giving me readings within 1.022-1.023. Whats a good way to know which hydrometer is correct? Should I just go to the LFS and check it on their tanks? If the new one is right and my specific gravity is over 1.032, could my tank have made it this far? Can all the livestock live in these conditions? The new hydrometer is a instant ocean and the old one is a corallife. Any one use either of these, or have any suggestions. I know, i know, I need to invest in a refractrometer.

I had a deep six for over 2 years and when I got my refractometer it was 1.040!! no issues with fish or corals, the issue was with new fish arrivals :). It seems that fish and corals adapted to the increase in salinity over time.

make sure there's nothing sticking to the arm. i know this sounds basic, but check. wash it with clean water and also make sure there are no bubbles sticking to the arm. and measure it like 5 different times to be sure. i do this with 2 different swing arm types and am still paranoid!

Try filling up the hydrometer with water that you with with out a doubt what the specific gravity is and let it sit for a few hours. Then throw away both of your hydrometers and buy a refractometer. For all the money we spend on our systems $50 for an essential piece of equipment is nothing.

throw away both of your hydrometers and buy a refractometer.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Those things are unreliable at best.

I went through about 3 swing arms before I bought my refractometer. It is an essential tool IMO. (right up there with the turkey baster) :cool:

Steven Pro,
That is a great article. Thanks for the reply and the time taken to do this study. However, I need to bring these hydrometers to a someone who knows for sure what their specific gravity is to verify which may be working correctly. Is there any kind of break in for a new hydrometer? Someone told me to put the salt water in it overnight to calibrate it.

When we first got our refractometer, it showed my salinity was 1.031, and all my fish and corals were still alive. So, I would say, yes it is possible. We gradually brought it down to 1.026, and that's where we keep it.

Dito on the Refractometer!
Had 2 hydo's with 2 different readings!
Possible Temp calibration issues. Nice thing about refractometer is it self adjusts for temp.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8130581#post8130581 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2swift
Dito on the Refractometer!
Had 2 hydo's with 2 different readings!
Possible Temp calibration issues. Nice thing about refractometer is it self adjusts for temp.
Same here, I wish I knew then what I know now about refractometer. Got mine for less than $40.

Got mine for around 40 from premium aquatics. I love being able to check my mixed WC water and the tank and matching them. Its so easy to use, and it takes a second, instead of banging the hydrometer agaisnt the tank wall to knock off all the bubbles. Try taking your hydrometer reading in the tank, get it up to the glass and gently tap off the bubbles, then take the reading, I would do this three time though. I think it works, at least it did for me. And wash your hydro after ever use with RO water.

I had a glass one that was way off (luckily it broke).

Now I have the one that Steven reviewed and a better quality glass one and both have been calibrated against a refractometer. Eventually I will purchase a refractometer but I think I am good for now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8130085#post8130085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jpslickorocks
Try filling up the hydrometer with water that you with with out a doubt what the specific gravity is and let it sit for a few hours. Then throw away both of your hydrometers and buy a refractometer. For all the money we spend on our systems $50 for an essential piece of equipment is nothing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back