Hypo in DT?

Why would you want to do that? If you are worried about ich, simply use tank transfer for all fish.

i have known people with fish-only tanks that have run constantly at a reduced salinity, but not at a true parasite preventative hypo level (1.008).

What salinity level are you talking about?

Keep in mind the lower you get, the more you will have to worry about fluctuations in pH (caused by low alk).

basically starting a tank from scratch. was wondering if I could treat all new fish going in the new DT by just making it hypo. It is an old system just being completely redone.

basically starting a tank from scratch. was wondering if I could treat all new fish going in the new DT by just making it hypo. It is an old system just being completely redone.

Several things. As I mentioned the best way to prevent ich is tank transfer; 12 days and you are done. Hypo only works with (most varieties of ich, but not all) ich and has no effect on the more serious parasites like velvet, brook, uronema, flukes.

Several things. As I mentioned the best way to prevent ich is tank transfer; 12 days and you are done. Hypo only works with (most varieties of ich, but not all) ich and has no effect on the more serious parasites like velvet, brook, uronema, flukes.

That, and can't long-term hyposalinity cause damage to the internal organs of our fish?

Ich is already in the system with one fish in it. i have a small queen, small rock beauty, achilles and orange shoulder. I would like to use the display ( 180 ) that has been an sps tank for years as the QT. All inverts are removed now. What is the best recommendation for this? this tank will eventually have shark pups and inverts in the future so copper is out ( correct? ) plus the little angels may not like it.

best method would be to do tank transfer for the 4 fish you already have, also do PraziPro. Keep the current DT fallow for 10-12 weeks. Will be a [relatively] quick reset of your tank where you can keep your current rock, etc. You will need a temporary tank to keep the fish in while the DT is fallow. Just make sure you are not adding any un-QT'ed live rock or other creatures to that tank.

Any future inhabitants, including Inverts/Rock/(anything wet), will need to be QT'ed separately also. Fallow for 10-12 weeks for those.

I understand the fallow period. My 55 QT is going to be hold all the inverts while the DT is going to turn into the Qt for the time being with the fish. That being said... fish sand and rock will be in it. Is hypo or Copper recommended for treatment? Please keep in mind inverts and sharks will eventually go into this tank.

what if i removed all fish... bleached my tank with rock and sand then tank tranferred all fish and returned them. Bleach will evaporate out of tank with in a few days. everything will be killed in tank correct?

in failed Hypo attempts. is the thought that the cysts survive that are in the sand or that are still attached to fish?

Typically, hyposalinity failures are due to the inability to keep SG at precisely 1.008 for an extended period of time. If there is the slightest fluctuation upward (evaporation, water changes), osmotic shock will not occur in the parasite and it will survive to infect the fish. In addition, there have been reported strains of crypto that are resistant to hyposalinity.

As noted above, tank transfer is guaranteed to eliminate the parasite, since it outruns the very predictable stage of the life cycle. Chemical treatments (Cupramine, chloroquine phosphate) are also well-regarded, but there is some level of risk if the parasite remains encysted longer than the treatment period.

I understand the fallow period. My 55 QT is going to be hold all the inverts while the DT is going to turn into the Qt for the time being with the fish. That being said... fish sand and rock will be in it. Is hypo or Copper recommended for treatment? Please keep in mind inverts and sharks will eventually go into this tank.

just use the 55g as the temporary housing for the fish after TT is completed instead of using for the inverts.

The process being preached about TT over Hypo or Copper is honestly going to be by far the least amount of work along with the most effective result. It is a no-lose situation. A little elbow grease for each transfer, but then easy road then on.

You do not want to put copper in the DT even if you run carbon, etc.

And a question from me to others, as I don't even know for sure -- will Hypo kill all the live rock and the beneficial bacteria? or will it all survive?

Back