I could sure use some advice.

Eric55

I could use some advice on getting my water to a better state.

My 30 gallon tank is 10 weeks old. I filled it with cured live rock, so there was very little cycling. I’ve not been able to get my nitrites and nitrates to 0.

Here are the current parameters.

Temp. 79
Salinity 1.026

Ammonia .15
Nitrite .2
Nitrate 5
pH 8.0
Phosphate 0.1
KH/Alk 15.7
Magnesium above 1,500
Calcium above 500

All testing was done with Salifert kits.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks, Eric

I'd say the tank is still cycling. Is there any livestock in the tank? If not just leave it be and keep testing until your ammonia and nitrites drop to 0. After that you can do a water change and start adding your clean up crew.

I was using a different set of test kits in the beginning, and they told me that the water was fine. I added a clean up crew, then a five green chromis.

I then switched to the Salifert kits, and they told me that my water was not fine after all. Some of the snails and crabs have been dying.

I'm worried about the fish. I've been doing lots of water changes, but the water is still "off."

The water will continue to be off until the cycle is complete. I'd take the fish and cuc back to the store if possible and let the tank finish it's cycle.

Hold off on water changes until the ammonia and nitrites drop to 0.

I agree - let your tank cycle completely before adding livestock. Mg, Ph, Alk are all very high. Is your testkit giving you the right results?

I assume my test kits are fine. I brought a water sample to my LFS and they tested it for me. They said the water was really good, but not perfect. They said that the ammonia was nearly 0, and that there was barely any nitrites or nitrates.

The LFS did not use Salifert test kits. I've always read that Salifert is one of the most reliable. My Salifert kits were bought from a Reefcentral sponsor and are within the "use" dates.

I'm a little confused as to which source to believe, but the dead snails and crabs seem to be giving me the most information.

The nitrifying bacteria needed to process the Ammonia reside in rock and surfaces so it is safe to use water changes to keep Ammonia below 0.1
As far as there is little Ammonia the critters and fish will be OK and bacteria will still develop.
IMO the cycle was completed but the stocking was too fast which did not gave the bacterial population enough time to develop to catch up with the added on bio-load. Just wait and yes do perform water changes to keep ammonia below 0.1 ppm and remember to mix and aereate your new water well and for at least 24 hours before using it. Use RO/DI or purified water for your mix.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9263903#post9263903 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Eric55
I assume my test kits are fine. I brought a water sample to my LFS and they tested it for me. They said the water was really good, but not perfect. They said that the ammonia was nearly 0, and that there was barely any nitrites or nitrates.

The LFS did not use Salifert test kits. I've always read that Salifert is one of the most reliable. My Salifert kits were bought from a Reefcentral sponsor and are within the "use" dates.

I'm a little confused as to which source to believe, but the dead snails and crabs seem to be giving me the most information.

By wary of who helps you at your LFS. As far as I'm concerned if you have ammonia in the tank, it's no good. That ammonia is going to break down but that will increase your nitrates.

Your dead snails/crabs definitely should give you a better idea of what's going on in your tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9267392#post9267392 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr James
What is the TDS of the Walmart distilled water??
Bottled distilled water shall be OK (zero TDS)

The reason I ask is that some of the locals around here had been getting bottled water of some sort from WalMart and had some issues. I don't remember all what the exact problem was, but I do remember the reference to Walmart water. Maybe it wasn't the distilled stuff. Dunno.

Maybe it's a Water Chemistry issue because of the high calcium and Magnesium?!?

Wallmart has in some stores RO only water which you fill your own jugs with. That one is not that pure for aquariums and sometimes they use coloidal silver filters as bactericide which makes it totally unsuitable. Distilled can't be bottled there and has to come already bottled from the distillery. The process itself creates very pure water from condensation.

Back