i did something stupid

wav0718

I bought a True Tyree Undata frag for 70. I never would dip my corals but thought I better start since I am getting up there on the number of corals I have in my tank. I didn't do any research on how to dip. Just thought I would wing it. I dipped it for 10 min in ro water and here is where I think I made my mistake. I dipped it for 1 min in reef dip coral disinfectant at full concentration. I think I burned the flesh right off of the coral. Here is a pic.
CIMG1271.jpg

You think it will survive or is it already dead? It was a really nice piece.. I'm so sad and stupid - lol.

No worries. I have made plenty of mistakes before when I first started. If it's not peeling away, you might be good. I can see some polyps so that's a good sign. But that might not be enough... watch the piece closely and update us on how it's doing/

If you want to learn about dipping look up levamisole and potassium permanganate (KMnO4)

Best of luck

Jay

The RO water did it in.

30-45 seconds in RO already is pretty good at nuking montiporas.

I like povidone or else Revive coral cleaner for dipping montis.

Ouch! Sorry to see that, Wes!

For me, FW dips have always been a no-no for SPS...even montipora. There's a chance it may fully recover in a few weeks, but that's a lot for a pretty tiny frag to go through.

Good luck!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12879576#post12879576 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Unarce
For me, FW dips have always been a no-no for SPS...even montipora.

Yep. FW for montis would be a total desperation move for known nudibranch infestations... no more than 30 seconds, and at that, there's a good chance of losing the coral. There are way better methods.

I heard about someone that FW dipped their new Purple Monster frag.... yikes!

it was a good learning lesson. next time i will do my research. it is looking pretty bad, but i'll give it some time to see what happens.

It probably won't make it, but I've seen corals come back that looked worse. For monti nudis I would use salifert flat worm exit as a dip at a high dose. And a wrasse.

i've had success with tropic marin pro coral cure. i had one coral that was stn'ing cut off the affected tissue dipped and its doing fine now.

Back