I get a FISH ROOM.... sorta

yagesz

So as you can see from the pics it's a very small room. But my tank is not connected to it. My new tank is up and running and keeping home to a few inhabitants already.

150g Reef. With 29g sump
Flame angel
Frostbite Clownfish x2
Blood Shrimp
4 Hermits

What can I do in there room? I have my local hardware store ordering in a pair of 55g VST's for water. I plan to saddle valve my RODI 150gpd to the main line and drain the waste to the floor drain. I have confirmed it does not go into the sump tank and is a sewer drain.

Now my questions:
With as little flow as the rodi wastes I figured it wouldn't be bad. Can I do water changes down the drain? I plan to siphon it and this is the closet drain?

What other things should I put in here?

I was thinking some storage shelves mounted on the wall. I know this is a small space but with proper planning I think I can make good use of it and still have access to my furnace and water heater. The vertical storage tanks must be 55g. I do not want to buy buckets of salt anymore. I wamt to move 50g of rodi in. Dump a bag and be done.

My schematic is bare Bones but you can see my idea. Connect a 25ft pc of 1/2 tubing for gravel vac and adding saltwater for water changes. The floor drain is 3 inch and drains very fast. I put my 20 gallon trashcan with a valve on it and opened it fully and it just gulped the water up. So the water coming from a siphon on 1/2 tube should not kill it I just want hard PVC pipe going into it so that it doesn't flop.

My end goal is a zero water change tank. I do believe in them and have had great luck with smaller tanks. This is going to be a while so the PVC drain is hopefully temporary.

All input will be greatly appreciated.

3368b57d19402d207e9ee954c4cd95c2.jpg
17c25188d70808af51c93e5103631550.jpg
6ed368132c5ce77339f8af1afdd38fcb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I have two things ...

1.. Unless there is a Louver larger then front of the furnace that door is AGAINST BUILDING CODE and will cause your furnace to over work not to mention could cause gases to build up in that room . the flue can only pull the gases out if it can pull air in..

This is just from a glance of what i can see from the pictures...

2. Watch out for humidity in there that close to the furnace . As far as space well it looks quite tight..

But Nice utility closet....

I have two things ...

1.. Unless there is a Louver larger then front of the furnace that door is AGAINST BUILDING CODE and will cause your furnace to over work not to mention could cause gases to build up in that room . the flue can only pull the gases out if it can pull air in..

This is just from a glance of what i can see from the pictures...

2. Watch out for humidity in there that close to the furnace . As far as space well it looks quite tight..

But Nice utility closet....
1. There is a duct coming from outside. In my area it's a standard building code for these to be installed no matter what. It's about the size of a basketball. A Lil smaller but quite large. It's for the gases you speak of.

2. I will use vertical tanks that are closed and sealed. I don't see why the humidity with these will be a problem. Other than this it is a large basement down stairs as well.

1. There is a duct coming from outside. In my area it's a standard building code for these to be installed no matter what. It's about the size of a basketball. A Lil smaller but quite large. It's for the gases you speak of.

2. I will use vertical tanks that are closed and sealed. I don't see why the humidity with these will be a problem. Other than this it is a large basement down stairs as well.

That should be OK Then as far as the Vent.. Those thinks just freak me out .Thou I am not sure why there would be a exterior vent here that would be quite cold in the winter time. ...

My mixing tanks Will sweat depending on humidity levels is why i mention that. HVAC premature Rust inside the exchange unit and burner is often a humidity issue...

One other thing.. How did you confirm that floor drain is connected to sewer?
Here you can NOT Connect a gray water line to a dirty water sewer line. This has to do with sewer backup on the utility side.With that said i see no reason why you cant use it as planned .. if its cast iron and you pour saltwater thru it that might deteriorate it quicker
mixing station and water change areas are great ...

Building Codes Building Codes... They Drive my batty But i see so many issues caused by lack of common sense guess they need to be there.

:wavehand:

That should be OK Then as far as the Vent.. Those thinks just freak me out .Thou I am not sure why there would be a exterior vent here that would be quite cold in the winter time. ...

My mixing tanks Will sweat depending on humidity levels is why i mention that. HVAC premature Rust inside the exchange unit and burner is often a humidity issue...

One other thing.. How did you confirm that floor drain is connected to sewer?
Here you can NOT Connect a gray water line to a dirty water sewer line. This has to do with sewer backup on the utility side.With that said i see no reason why you cant use it as planned .. if its cast iron and you pour saltwater thru it that might deteriorate it quicker
mixing station and water change areas are great ...

Building Codes Building Codes... They Drive my batty But i see so many issues caused by lack of common sense guess they need to be there.

:wavehand:
Yeah it's weird. Room does get cold but it doesn't hurt the house.

Good to know on the humidity in this scenario. Very appreciated.

There is a deep floor sump right next to the floor drain. The drain is 3 inch PVC. When I dumped the 20 gallons down the drain there was no sign of it in the sump. Not to mention I already made 55g of rodi water right before. I would expect to see something. Not to mention there is a ptrap on the floor drain as well. They are less than a foot from each other. The drain and sump pump. I mean I didn't confirm but stuff looks like they are separate. This is a finished basement from the date is was built. So it all point in a good way. I only do 20g water changes so hopefully the water isn't overkill

. The drain and sump pump. I mean I didn't confirm but stuff looks like they are separate. This is a finished basement from the date is was built. So it all point in a good way. I only do 20g water changes so hopefully the water isn't overkill

My Assumption is this goes into a Storm Drain someplace outside. It could go into sewer but usually that is frowned . Of Course you never know without either confirming its termination point or a Sewer cam...

It appears it will be fine thou..

My Assumption is this goes into a Storm Drain someplace outside. It could go into sewer but usually that is frowned . Of Course you never know without either confirming its termination point or a Sewer cam...

It appears it will be fine thou..
Citys keeps blueprints on file don't they? I wanna check. But I mean I am only doing small amount and not throwing stuff down it. Oh well.

Citys keeps blueprints on file don't they? I wanna check. But I mean I am only doing small amount and not throwing stuff down it. Oh well.

Sometimes they do. But prints are for mechanical and plumbing are usually a guideline on how it needs to be done does not mean they are followed fully .

if the water is leaving and its no more then you say its prob perfectly fine..

I don't see a drain in your picture. I see what looks like a sump pit with a cover. Is that the drain your referring to? Is there a pump in there? If so, you probably don't want to be dumping saltwater into it. It will shorten the life of the pump.

Also you might want to layout the size of your VST's on the floor to see if they will fit in the closet. Remember to keep room to access and service your furnace.

The drain is not in the picture. But it is there. Yes the sump tank is there to. And far as I can tell they are not connected.

The vst are 20 inch diameter. I drew the squares out in chalk and it is a tight fit but 1 inch to less it would not be doable. Door opens full and I can walk around the square easy to get to the furnace and still have enough room to open the filter trap and such.

A small fish room is better than no fish room. Laying things out in chalk or tape on the floor is a good idea. Don't forget to include space for plumbing, pumps, etc. Go slow and take your time and you'll be surprised how useful a small space can be.

- Ivan

A small fish room is better than no fish room. Laying things out in chalk or tape on the floor is a good idea. Don't forget to include space for plumbing, pumps, etc. Go slow and take your time and you'll be surprised how useful a small space can be.

- Ivan
I agree. I'm happy to have my connections and supplies right next to it. So much better than finding nooks and crannies. I cut my main water line today and plumbed in a shark bite slip adapter with a fpt connection. I put a mpt boiler spigot on it and bam. Instant water supply. Better than a saddle valve as well. More pressure. Easy to replace and fix.

I am planning to build a table to lift the tanks off the floor 2 ft. Then turn them about 45 degrees so I can run pipe right through the plywood. Pump underneath. I will probably use alot of braided vinyl line so that I can replace or tear apart easily and make that small of a space more usable.

Back