I had a 55 gallon Fish Only tank back in the 1980's and recently got back into this

markyrich

I have a question about quarantining. Back in the early 1980's I don't believe there was such a thing. I must have been pretty lucky because I lost very few fish. Anyway, my questions is I am setting up a 20 gallon QT and am wondering if I should just observe the fish (1 tomini tang, and 2 pearlscle butterflys) or should I do the copper power treatment as a preventative. Some people say just watch and if you don't see any issues for 4 weeks you should be good to go. I have also read many people who say to use the copper treatment. Just wondering what others say. I have 3 clowns, a pajama cardinal, and a sailfin blenny in the D.T. Thanks for any help Mark

You’re going to get varying answers. @Paul B doesn’t quarantine and has had great success.

I’m more of the observational period (I usually do around 2 weeks or so) and then good to go with a separate QT on standby.

Others go full QT. I think it all depends on how reliable you feel your fish source is.

You’re going to get varying answers. @Paul B doesn’t quarantine and has had great success.

I’m more of the observational period (I usually do around 2 weeks or so) and then good to go with a separate QT on standby.

Others go full QT. I think it all depends on how reliable you feel your fish source is.
Thanks for your reply. I'm planning on going with observation. I have medicine just in case, but hopefully it won't be needed.

FWIW, I’ve been in the hobby since the 80’s as well and have never quarantined. I’ve been extremely lucky, knock on wood.

FWIW, I’ve been in the hobby since the 80’s as well and have never quarantined. I’ve been extremely lucky, knock on wood.
I kind of feel the same way, however, recently (this current tank is only 12 weeks old) I lost 4 fish. All parameters in the tank were good. I had 4 other fish that were not affected by whatever it was. It's 3 weeks later and everything still fine. Unfortunately, I am in the middle of nowhere with 0 saltwater fish stores for at least 50 miles. I have to do most of my buying online. I have been using saltwateraquarium.com and through Petco. Of course Petco sources all theirs to someone in California. My point is I don't know who I can trust online and so I'm probably going to do QT from now on.

There is only one bullet proof way to deny parasites from potentially harming/killing your fish. The first step would be to add every last bit of live rock you intend to keep. The cleaning crew would consist only of snails. Once that is complete, you cannot ever add another piece of rock or coral without a dip, and would need to keep it fishless for a few months…impossible, I know. Then, any and every new addition of coral would need to be dipped, and every fish would need to be medicated prior to entry into the aquarium.
That is simply too much for the average hobbyist to commit to, and the reason why a QT for observation is the protocol for most people. Having said that, there are people (griss) who don’t even have a quarantine tank, and whom the aquarium gods cast favor upon. 😎

I appreciate your information and believe it to be very accurate. In the early 80's the internet was just starting. Of course there was absolutely no information on saltwater fish keeping. I picked up a few tips from store owners but that was about it. Back then I believe there were very few people doing any QT. I built my own reef filtration system and the light box for the top. I used actinic lights which was the gold standard back then. I rarely saw any corals anywhere for sale anyway. I'm kind of starting all over with updating my knowledge. Thanks to all for help

I appreciate your information and believe it to be very accurate. In the early 80's the internet was just starting. Of course there was absolutely no information on saltwater fish keeping. I picked up a few tips from store owners but that was about it. Back then I believe there were very few people doing any QT. I built my own reef filtration system and the light box for the top. I used actinic lights which was the gold standard back then. I rarely saw any corals anywhere for sale anyway. I'm kind of starting all over with updating my knowledge. Thanks to all for help
Some people actually run UV sterilization units in an effort to kill parasites suspended in the water column during various stages of their respective life cycles. It certainly does help by greatly reducing the likelihood that fish will encounter physical contact with a free swimming parasite. Aside from that, All you can really do is quarantine for a relatively short period of time to give potential problems a chance to make themselves known. Furthermore , the food that you provide will ultimately determine the long term health and survival of your fish.

I'm in the same boat as you Marky. I had a 75 gallon tank back in the 80's and got out of the hobby. I am now in the process of cycling a 60 gallon breeder and setting up a 10 gallon QT. I've been reading all I can on the hobby as well as watching tons of videos and have found the hobby has changed so much ! I plan on using Copper Power and API General Cure in my QT and will do this with every fish I get.
Good luck with jumping back into the hobby !

Back