I need help!!

Swatman05

I am new to the hobby and I am wanting to get a 240gal aquarium. I am seeking advice on lighting, pumps, sump, and everything needed. I'm not rich by any means and I plan on piecing together my setup pretty soon. I know the type of lighting depends on type of corals, etc. I'm trying to see where I can get good equipment for a decent price. Any help or suggestions you guys can give me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ryan Moeller

My advice is don't rush and spend as much time possible researching, it will save you some serious $$$ in the long run.

Hard to give you an answer as the question is somewhat vague and broad. Also make sure to setup a QT system. If disease takes hold in a tank that size you will be pulling your hair out trying to resolve the issue.

welcome.gif

To Reefcentral

Welcome!
Let me start off by saying that a 240 gallon is VERY big, especially for someone just starting off. All equipments depends on personal preference and it would be easier for us to help you if you were to post some of those. Anyways, if I were to do a build like this I would probably expect to spend somewhere around 10-15K for equipment/tanks alone. You can definitely adjust your tank to your budget. It all depends on all of the 'bells and whistles' that you want. There are multiple ways that you can save money on a build of this size such as building your own sump. A good place to start looking for equipment would be sites such as Marine Depot or Bulkreefsupply. My #1 suggestion would be to take it slow and do as much research as possible.

What size aquarium would you guys recommend to start with? There are a few tang species I want and some of the guides say they need at least 180gal. The aquarium I was looking at is $1,022.00. My brother in law is a carpenter and he's going to help me build the stand and canopy. I have a 33gal aquarium right now I plan on using for a QT. Lighting is so expensive!! Haha. I plan on getting an RO/DI system setup too. My goal is to try to get everything I can setup in the stand under the tank.

For lighting, I'm looking at the T5 setup. Do you guys think this would provide ample lighting for coral growth? LED is nice, but I've heard good things about the T5.

What size aquarium would you guys recommend to start with? There are a few tang species I want and some of the guides say they need at least 180gal. The aquarium I was looking at is $1,022.00. My brother in law is a carpenter and he's going to help me build the stand and canopy. I have a 33gal aquarium right now I plan on using for a QT. Lighting is so expensive!! Haha. I plan on getting an RO/DI system setup too. My goal is to try to get everything I can setup in the stand under the tank.

I would recommend getting as big of a tank that you can afford/handle/feel comfortable with. 240 is a good size for most tangs. T5 is not my forte, however if you do end up going with leds I would recommend reefbreeders (budget), AI Hydra, and kessil ap700's or the a360we tuna blues. I would set up an initial budget and then build up around that.

Thank you for your help! I actually meant MH Lighting. I was just looking at the lighting forums and a lot of guys seem to be going back to MH from LED. They said the coral growth is spectacular! I plan on saving roughly $300/month and starting my build later this year/ early next year. :)

Most people start out small, then once or if they get the hang of it they go big. A 240 is REALLY BIG. I would be divorced and probably 6 feet under if I had the problems that I've had in my 40 breeder in a 240. Its a learning experience, it's up to you if it's a fun one or not. Just take it slow, a tank that size a year or more of research is not unheard of.

My wife is actually a Mortgage Loan Officer for a Credit Union here in Oklahoma. Only reason I don't want to start small, is because I know I'll want to go bigger. I'd definitely get all my research done and make sure I know what I am doing when the time comes. I just bought a book on Corals by Eric H. Borneman and it's an excellent book to learn about corals! I might go down to a 200gal or so. :)

Welcome Ryan,
While I would love to have a 240 of my own, majority of the people that have been in the hobby a long time have gone through an evolution. I have about 6 years experience so I'm not an expert but expanding upwards has many benefits.
Starting off with your 33gal will give you experience maintaining a fragile marine environment with minimal investment. ($1000) keep it simple with no sump but get lights for corals. Try to wait a year before upgrading. TRY is the key word.
Next popular step is to a 4ft tank because the Internet is littered with deals on used systems of this size. Do not cannabalize your 33gal as it will become you cycled QT. You will learn more than you can imagine with this system.
I am currently at the 4ft tank stage and will stay here until I have a home of my own where I can customize. Currently planning for that 240 of my own. Before that 240, I plan to have a dedicated frag tank as coral qt and grow out for the display. Anyway...

To the point, start small so you don't get overwhelmed and upgrade to a used system you will be able to customize once you are ready.

Edit: I believe most of the extremely experience reefers here have 3 separate established systems. (1 display, 1 five star fish qt, and 1 frag tank. That being said, everything will be useful somewhere.

Last edited:
My 33gal has a Firebelly Newt in it that is 24yrs old. Haha. I was told the lifespan of that species is UP TO 10yrs. I got him when I was in 1st grade and I'm 29 now. :)

This is what I learned during my rough first months:

• big is nice :D
  • even small can cost
  • having the problems I had with a big set up would have cost me my marriage ;)
  • the bigger, the more time you will need to get everything going
  • A lot can be learned in the small form facotr
  • maximum coral growth is not what I go for
  • Make sure your floor can carry the weight
  • invest money in things that make running the tank easy for you (ATO, dosing, APEX/GHL, automatic water change)
  • always, always take time for whatever you do (every single failure was due to me rushing something becuase I did not have enough time)

What I did, I started small (40 gallons) which I plan to use as QT system once I go big. Currently, I have a super cheap 10 gallon tank for QT and two plastic boxes for TTM.

Enojoy the ride! :D

I think the 240 gallon start tank is a great choice. Read the stickies in this website forum. Watch bulk reef supply weekly videos starting at video 1 and watch every episode of the brs 160. Great that u have a book. Books r good. As some of the other posters mentioned.... Making a mistake and having a complete loss is one of the most expensive errors when you have a large tank ... that's why it's important to know what you are doing, before you do it.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using taptalk

Thanks for all the help guys! The floor is solid concrete with no carpet or anything on top of it. I know this hobby is a BIG investment, and that's why I'm taking what you guys say seriously! I'm looking at marine depot and BRS comparing prices on different pieces of equipment.

Thanks for all the help guys! The floor is solid concrete with no carpet or anything on top of it. I know this hobby is a BIG investment, and that's why I'm taking what you guys say seriously! I'm looking at marine depot and BRS comparing prices on different pieces of equipment.
Make sure it is set up along a wall with carrying strength. Even then, if there is a room below I would recommend to have a static review.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It's a single story house with no room under it. I see you're from Switzerland!! I'd love to visit there someday!! Greetings from Oklahoma!

It's a single story house with no room under it. I see you're from Switzerland!! I'd love to visit there someday!! Greetings from Oklahoma!

Let me know when you do. I am in the less picturesque part in the north but certainly can give tips what is worth visiting ;) Never been to Oklahoma, but had the pleasure to visit NY, Seattle, Washington, Pennsylvania, Niagara falls, Arizona and California so far. Not travelling as much any more though... employer is getting stingy, stupid Euro crisis.

So jealous of you to have the opportunity to have such a tank! I will certainly follow if you decide to do a build thread!

My 33gal has a Firebelly Newt in it that is 24yrs old. Haha. I was told the lifespan of that species is UP TO 10yrs. I got him when I was in 1st grade and I'm 29 now. :)

Is be suspicious that my parents didn't take a few trips back to the fish store while I was in school.....hope not though : )

My advice is start studying the tank types and equipment, read the ads, read the reviews, and ask questions before you buy anything. You're wise to figure what you want first, and then buy. Second-hand tanks often turn up for a song---BUT---if they're plumbed wrong or if the offered equipment dates from 1980, not so helpful. Go for 'reef ready' or be prepared to take a drill to a tank yourself. COnsider whether you want acrylic because of how heavy a tank that size is---or glass, because it's easier to clean. There are soooooooo many tradeoffs. For the tangs you like, you'll need a 'long' tank, as opposed to wide or deep---they're runners, and swim fast. You sound as if you're prepared to go for it, and have an idea of the costs. We have a red-arrow sticky file up there that will help you. Meanwhile question every item of equipment as to price and value, because, eg, skimmers can cost hugely, and you need to know how much skimmer you need. Lights ditto, especially for a long tank, depending on whether you're going for bare rock or want corals in the picture. The more you know about your real needs and what the tradeoffs are (and the more you know to ask!) the less likely you are to make an expensive wrong purchase. You don't need top-end 'everything' for a fish-only; you don't even need it for most corals: something may be touted as excellent, but the question will be whether this tank actually needs it to work well for the vision you have.

He has a special marking on his underside that distinguishes him apart. I had another one, but he died about a month and a half ago. ��

Back