I need reference on fish genetic disorder!!

A.G

Hey,

Iam working on this research project on fish's genetic disorder. I need any (ANY!) text book, Articles, Sites,reference about this subject. I have already tried searching google and only came up with little if any info.......Any help is appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

A.G:)

The common zebrafish (Danio rerio) is used as a model organism for genetic research.

You will find a lot of information on this. Several years ago there was a mass "screening" to produce genetic mutations, screen for developmental problems and identify the genes involved. They found many interesting things.

You can search medline (e.g., PubMed) here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=PubMed

The glow in the dark zebrafish are also interesting and are the result of genetic engineering.

If you are referring more to selective breeding to produce specific varieties, I am sure there is also a lot of information on this. However, it is unlikely they would know the specific genes involved; but would use basic Mendelian principles.

Related, is the crossing of different species in the hobby. The one example I know of is from the Cichlid community where two different Cichlids were crossed to produce infertile offspring (like a mule).

Hope that helps.

Back