Need Advice on Quarantine Duration for Sick Fish:

lindaronstadt

Hey reef community,

I've run into a bit of a situation and need some swift advice. Recently started stocking my 75/91 tank with LPS corals. Had a yellow mimic tang with ich, treated him in a 13-gallon quarantine for over a week, and he's looking better. Now, my lemon peel angel is in bad shape, and I've moved him along with a couple of other fish showing signs to the quarantine tank.

The issue is, the tank might get overcrowded. Can I pull out the mimic tang early and reintroduce him to the main tank? Can't find clear info online. Your quick insights could make a huge difference. Thanks in advance for any help!

If you’ve already added the other fish to the treatment tank, then there’s a possibility that the mimic could have been reinfected. If it were me, I’d probably just do a quick (less than a minute) fresh water dip on the mimic if you absolutely need to create space. I always do that anyway just to eliminate the possibility of any protists being introduced, even from the net itself. The problem is that the main tank needs to run fallow for 30 days, or everyone will surely be reinfected.

I agree with @T Diddy, All fish need to be qted togther and then introduced together. your qt time clock starts all over again when you introduce a fish to it. Also if ich was in main system it need to sit fallow for 60-70 days.

Last edited:
I agree with @T Diddy, All fish need to be qted togther and then introduced together. your qt time calock starts all over again when you introduce a fish to it. Also if ich was in main system it need to sit fallow for 60-70 days.
I’m assuming that the 28-30 days only applies to the theront stage?

Back