I need some ideas on some unique fish

Joke

Ok i'm currently looking into a fish to add to my new 75g reef. The fish must be under $200 and it must be unique/less common.
I would get a lineatus wrasse but i have kept them before and a change would be nice.
And yes i can get a male lineatus under $200 as i live in australia wear i can get one for $100.

I guess I would ask what fish are unique not to australia. That way you could start your search with fish you normally won't see.

What about hawaii endemics, are they rare in Oz? My choice would be potters angel but canthigaster jactator would be an unusual but quirky choice. Failing that bartletts anthias.
or go Caribbean and have a group of chalk bass.

Unique as in what? Why don't you narrow down a species or two? Being that you live in Australia, some of the most beautiful angels in the world come from Australia. Marginalis butterfly, not in everyone's tank and definitely unique.

I just ordered 2 Randalls Assessors! Can't wait to get them this week! They are coming from ORA originally from Japan and hardly ever available!!

I just ordered 2 Randalls Assessors! Can't wait to get them this week! They are coming from ORA originally from Japan and hardly ever available!!

I just had a good look at them and would love one so much but whats the chances of getting one in Australia?

Unique as in what? Why don't you narrow down a species or two? Being that you live in Australia, some of the most beautiful angels in the world come from Australia. Marginalis butterfly, not in everyone's tank and definitely unique.
Could make a cool adition but i dont think the corals would enjoy the company.

They're pretty well behaved so long as they're fed properly. And you don't spot feed LPS in front of them. Jme.

Don't know if you like small fish? If you do, priolepsis nocturna are very cute and flutter around the rockwork. Loads of character. Cheap if imported but you'll pay a premium for locals caught by CM. Not for everyone though as they're a bit cryptic if maintained in a busy tank.

Male Coral sea fairies are very nice and not as common as lineatus, but a bit narky with mild mannered anthias. I know its common, but what about sunburst anthias? Easy to feed once established, can be kept solo if needed and quite pretty.

Depending on other tank mates, maybe a geometric Pygmy hawk, plectranthias inermis. Small fish, big attitude, imported recently and inexpensive.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
:wave:

Last edited:
Suta do you think we can get these Randall Assessors that Bret was talking about in Australia for a some what decent price?

Have not tried tbh. But their native distribution supposedly includes PNG. If they're available in any real numbers there than there's a good chance we could source it via Bali and within your budget. But if the only PNG location is the Trobriand Islands, then I don't think so. They're pretty remote.

The other alternative is trans shipped through the U.S. Generally speaking IME whatever the U.S. price currently is, you can double it and then do the currency conversion. :( That's assuming it's available wholesale from LA.

As you know CB fish are illegal to import, so it won't be from ORA (although I don't believe all those royal grammas we get are WC, but anyway...).:worried: provided it can be sourced from one of the other regions (not Japan), then its possible.

Next step is to talk to a good direct importer, or your favourite shop, if you trust them to hassle on your behalf.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do...
:wave:

Any more ideas?
Everything is welcome, even tell me your whats favourite fish to give me some ideas.

Back