I SERIOUSLY just need opinions!

cdbias5

I use to have a 220+ SW about 10 years ago and many FW aquariums thru the years.
My problem is with a family member (brother) that is in the process of buying a home with a brand new Glass Cages 410g reef ready tank, 3/4" glass, sitting inside one of the walls. The tank is made so the back can be accessed from the garage. It has what appears to be a large rodi unit beside it in the garage. It has 4 glass overflows and 3 tanks, sumps etc. underneath the tank. It 's beautiful, and to him, all shiny, was a selling point of the home. There is zero plumbing and zero equipment included. It appears to be fairly thought out, even with reinforced concrete underneath. The home even has a new, unfilled, koi pond in the front. the previous owner was obviously a fish guy.
I don't remember my brother even owning a Beta his entire life.
He knows I love aquariums. He knows I like SW. My previous tank had no automation and I remember not taking vacation for several years also because of it. I know things have come a long way since then.
Well here goes:
I told my brother that there are 100 things i need to tell him about that tank and about 96 are the advantages of removing it now, new, and cut his losses. I told him #97 was "nobody want's him to have that tank more than me. Lol
He has taken a kume-buy-ya attitude of he just wants some fish in it to watch.
Here's what I think are non-negotiable terms for my help.
It's suicide to attempt that tank, FW or SW, without some sort of stand-alone support tank whether it be for quarantine or what ever. I feel that new tank is also worth less than half once it's used. The support tank could also be used to build biologic bacteria that could be placed in the 410 to reduce cycle time later if he decides he would like to proceed in the hobby.
My advice was to start with a 40 to 70 gal, in his garage, which is heated and cooled, to see if he has interest (love) in the hobby. I feel most equipment etc. on the first tank can be used on the 400 later, at least in support. You all know you have to love this hobby to have a chance to be successful.
He also travels extensively and the automation expense is a must.
The tank is 11'-9"x 24" x 28". 410g is what I calculated.
What would you all tell him? (aside from giving you the tank, lol)

Fresh Water if he really wants the tank!
Much less expensive & much less work.
African Chiclids --Hardy, only need rocks & will breed while being somewhat colorful.
Simple sump with a heater & pump is all you need.
Eheim battery operated feeder will last 2 weeks or better depending on fish load.

The koi are easy. Fill with water, add water lilies, and if you are in a freeze zone, add a heater and ice-hole opener for winter. (the latter a must.)
As for the tank, big tanks are easier than little ones. The chiclids are easy to keep and breed. You add sand, water, rock, test for ph, dkh, and gh (general hardness) and ignore except for feeding. Having a maintenance guy come in once every 2 weeks is good.
Marine, yes, automation costs money, but mostly you need a ro/di filter feeding a large drum of water and a pump and float valve delivering it up to the tank at need. Mine is in the basement. If it's all upstairs, that can be a problem of getting it near the tank.
That's my main automation. I don't have a controller. I test, I add stuff ( buffer, etc) if buffer needs adding. I put Mrs. Wages' Pickling Lime in the big topoff barrel to supply calcium. If I keep alk at 8.3, cal at 420, and magnesium at 1350, I can leave that tank for a month without attention, on autotopoff: the chemical balance sustains itself. It has thus far survived 2 years of house remodel without much attention at all. So a marine tank can be modestly automated (my topoff unit cost me about 200.00) and still run well. I'd say your money should be better spent hiring a reasonably competent person to come in twice a month to tweak what needs tweaking and rely on him not to put things together that eat each other.

A big puffer could make for a great Pet!
Feeding bills can get pricy once he's the size of a chihuahua but a great pet!
Need good filtration but shouldn't be a problem with a sump!
While he's a away
Someone just needs to drop in a few clams
Ato
But seeing if he's into the hobby is always a good idea
Tell him to watch some YouTube videos and see if he's into them and binges them, most of us do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the most striking tanks I've seen over the decades was a 12' long tank with plastic plants and a dozen Red Cap Orandas about 7"-8" long with long flowing tails longer than thier bodies. It was just so relaxing sitting and watching them slowly swimming around.

Is there a local company that offers a maintenance service? I know we're all here for the sake of the hobby, but not everybody has the same viewpoints. In this case a good service company could be a viable option. That and it would eliminate the worry about having to travel and maintain the tank.

That being said, I've seen some breathtaking large freshwater tanks too. There is a state run fish hatchery north of me that has a tank, must be 1,500-2,000 gallons and viewable on all 4 sides, filled with walleye and bass. With a tank the size he has available there are a lot of species open to him that are rarely seen in homes. I'd love to have a large freshwater tank with local species. And planted freshwater tanks after a while reach a breakover point where maintenance becomes super easy. Just prune the plants and do water changes.

-Hans

Back