I Spy 2 -- Refined Rules

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14170037#post14170037 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by token
Is this a parasite?

Yes, here is where I get my 20% from. Sorry if it doesn't help.

Carnivores
Herbivores
Scavenging
Filter feeders
Parasitic

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14170057#post14170057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by israelnajar
Phylum-> ???
Class-> ???
Order-> ???
Family-> ???
Genus-> ???
Species-> ???

Would like to have 3 examples of each, please.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14170125#post14170125 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whys
Would like to have 3 examples of each, please.

From me? What pressure...lol Do you want reef captive examples?

Domain: Eukaryota
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Family: Hominidae
Genus: ****
Species: H. sapiens

Edit
Ha ha the filter blocked what the H. stands for.

From any of you biology brainiacs. Come'on prove your stuff. ;)

Yes of course reef captive examples. :p

If the examples at each level were properly related, that would be nice too. :)

Let me start a bit lower:

Order -- Perciformes
(Sub-Order) -- Blenniodei
Family -- Blenniidae (also Chaenopsidae, Clinidae, Dactyloscopidae, et al)
Genus -- Ecsenius (also Ophioblennius, Salaria, Salarias, et al)
Species -- bicolor, bimaculatus, lineatus, midas, et al

All of the above have the higher taxonomical descriptions, as follows:
Kingdom -- Animalia
Phylum -- Chordata
Class -- Actinopterygii

So, that's really complicated and even more confused by the changes to taxonomy that israelnajar refers to, namely Life and Domain. Some of these names change yearly, when the relevant "experts" conference and re-describe based on more recent research and consensus.

Us common folk get no say.....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14170199#post14170199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by israelnajar
The nuisance question answers that. 66% of the time yes.
Well, it could be parasitical to fish.

If it's parasitical to corals only 66% of the time, that means that one in three found it to -not- be a nuisance on corals.... I am confused. If it's a coral parasite, nuisance is relative.

So, does it have another host other than coral?

So, with regards to specificity, if someone says, "Blenny?", they could be technically correct all the way to Sub-Order, Blenniodei (almost literally translated as "resembling a blenny"). It might not be in the family of "true" Blennies, Blennidae, but it looks close.

HTH!!

BTW.... this game is very "taxonomical" in nature. It is this but not that. It is that but not the other.... on and on until we reach the specific generality the describer needs.

Hmmm... sure would help if the biologists could agree. :p

Okay, well thanks for the info. I'll see what I can come up with.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14170273#post14170273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by plateboy3293
Is it a parasite that would eat a coral? Like pyramid snails and tridancids clams. (I know neither are corals)

The posts I have seen on RC they have killed and consumed corals. I don't think that would be considered a parasite. So I am unsure how to answer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14170239#post14170239 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by token
Well, it could be parasitical to fish.

If it's parasitical to corals only 66% of the time, that means that one in three found it to -not- be a nuisance on corals.... I am confused. If it's a coral parasite, nuisance is relative.

So, does it have another host other than coral?

In my tank and others that I have seen they have consumed a colony of zoas but not the colony next to them. I am unsure as to what it would host in the wild. But in our tanks they are generally not a parasite.

Again I dont know how to answer with a yes or no on this one.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14170386#post14170386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hattie B
You guys are going to scare everyone away.. LOL. ;)

Agreed. I'm willing to let things run their course for now, as this game is open to everyone whatever their level of expertise. But eventually this needs to get back to being newbie friendly. You are of course free to create a mirror thread in the other forums, if they like. Otherwise, I'm gonna take control and start asking really easy questions. :p

Back