i think my tank is crashing

Cruella

In Memoriam
first my crab died, now my coral band shrimp is dying. i tested my water yesterday and it was fine. put some new rock and coral in it tonight. tranfered my fish into the new tank. the fish and coral seem fine. should i be running my skimmer on full blast?? will this help. i cant do a water change right now .

should help alittle but, have to give your tank time, when i set mine up did not feed for over a couple weeks and and no new additions for a good, 3 months...........
what kind of crab ??
the shrimp, could be ,molting its shell to if it disapeares for a couple days...., the fish will be fine as long as the parameters from 1 tank to the other are Pretty close........

the new rock may be part of u'r problem if its not cured ...... uncured rock could kill a tank if too much was put in, even cured poisions u'r tank just not as much and then eventuall tapers off....

if i could be any help feel free to send me a line...
peace

mike

I don't know if anyone has asked this in the past, I noticed you've been having problems.. How long has your tank been setup and has it cycled???

Is best to give your test results. Some peoples fine and other people's fine can be a far cry from ideal.

Nitrite=
Nitrate=
Ammonia=
Phosphate=
Alkalinity=
PH=
Water Temp=

?

The tank hasn't been setup long enough for the large additions you have been making. Should slow down some. People can be impatient. Impatience = loss of life & $$$ in this hobby.

If you don't have test kits or at least test strips you should get them: you should establish a benchmark set of parameters you want to hit, and test and correct until you get them. I grow corals: I use the Seifert Alkalinity, Seifert Calcium, and Seifert Magnesium test kits. I don't yet have a PH meter, but those three tests alone, plus a salinity tester and two thermometers (I run a backup), give me a pretty good picture of water quality. Running the test kits is futzy at first, but oh, so worth it. A skimmer is a very good investment. These all may be basics you know and have, but I recall you've been having troubles before now, and thought I'd provide as much info as I can on what works for me.

It has been my experience when you move crabs and shripm from one tank to another they molt. Did you find what looked like a crab out of its shell laying on the substrate and felt hollow and limp when you picked it up. If so that is a molt, don't worry I thought they were dead when it first happened in my tank, I think everyone does.

Like others have said take it slow, this is a hobby where the tortoise will always beat the hare. I know it is hard, but relax watch your tank grow and enjoy. Watch and enjoy the little changes on a daily basis, give your tank time, and before you know it(months to years) the big will be where you want it to.

Slowing things down seems to be the best advice. I have a new tank I set up about a month ago it has nothing in it except rock sand, a couple snails, hermits and alot of macro algae. It will remain this way for months until the pink algae is everywhere and it is fully cycled then I will start to put stuff in it. I have found there are things that seem to really effect my tank that I can't test for and don't know about they just come with time. --Have you tried seeding your tank with sand from someone elses preferably from a tank over a couple years old?

update

update

well I dumped two bottles of turbo start in and everything is fine. my salt was a little low there. now everyones is fine. readings are great, fish are happy. my xena is not looking that good. other than that everything seems fine. my shrimp died, but my wrass cleaned up that mess for me.

dont freak just accept it and stop fiddling cause your tank is fine....its just trying to cycle and everything you do postpones this. especially adding stock now. chemicals are not the answer. natural bacteria is. this take time.patience is a virtue...but neccesary in salt for any success!

Just let the tank run, and be PATIENT.

Bacteria is key, and a light load is easier to deal with rather than a crash level of organics in the "soup" that is your salt water.

Back