I want to start dosing MB7...

Not if you only wanted to start just mb7. That includes the bio fuel ( equivilent of vodka) and the reator with zeo lite rocks plus the micro bacter 7. It would be fine if you wanted to run the neo zeo method but many have had sucess with just the mb7 and vodka dosing. I'm assuming you are going to be running a sps with ultra low nutirents? It will work regardless

so are you saying you can run the mb7 and the bio fuel without the stones and the reactor?

I am doing the mb7 and vodka. So far so good. Read this SunnyX's Rimless Build Thread and Reefkeeping Article for reference. Also check out the My Bacteria Driven Journey. You will find it in SPS forum

Last edited:
i dont know if i can fit all the stones in my reactor. i have a bulk reef supply duel media reactor on my 120.

you gotta have a reactor that allows you to shake the zeoliths up every day.

and the zeoliths will help they just arent necessary

no the rocks aren't needed. I would stick with MB7 over the microbelift special blend. Order it online if it is tough to find. Aquarium specialty sells it in sixes ranging up to 2 litres

It (MB7) has been tested by people here on this site with great sucess. I havn't heard of anyone using the kent product for any kind of bacteria dosing. It kinda looks like that product cycle.

Everyone raves about MB7, I just wonder if the bacteria is THAT much better than the Special Blend, or if it's Brightwell's slick packaging?

Alright so the reactor and the stones are not completely necessary? I Just need the mb7 and the biofuel?

I would use vodka instead of the bio fuel as it had already been mentioned, it's cheaper and it last a lot longer than the bio fuel. I'm sure the packaging has nothing to do with mb7 sucess, i bet it is the denitrifiying bacteria kept in suspended animation that does it. You have read this article about dosing right? http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Everyone raves about MB7, I just wonder if the bacteria is THAT much better than the Special Blend, or if it's Brightwell's slick packaging?

I chose MB7 because ML Special Blend doesn't seem well suited for marine environments. The label says to double dose for marine and only use up to a specific gravity of 1.025.

I'm curious about what your trying to accomplish by using MB7? By the way I run a Phosban/reactor and have been using MB7 since August. The results have been exactly what I was trying to accomplish. I do not use vodka or Bio-fuel.

Back