I whent diving today

stevie-o

and saw no lionfish I've been to this reef a couple times, and always saw a lionfish or two. This time nothing it personally made me happy. I did this dive off of boynton beach, fl. I know how prevalent the whole lionfish invasion is, but maybe there still is hope?

Here in PR they are booming!!! Personally 5-6 years ago I had never seen one in the wild! Now every time I go diving at least I see 1 or 2 and have seen up to 4 in one occasion! I have a friend that sometimes goes spearfishing just to kill them...lol

I envy you being able to dive. I live in Colorado and crave going to the beach but it is a long ways away.
That just saddens me I have lived in Florida my whole life, and I forget that there is people that can't go to the beach much, or never get to go at all. I have to say if you ever get the chance to go diving do it. I just recently got certified, and i wish i did a lot earlier. It is absolutely amazing down there it's a whole different world. Its probably the most out of this world experience ever. Looking at a reef tank is awesome, but actually seeing a reef, and all its inhabitants is amazing.

My husband has dove alot of different reefs but that was before we got together. I have only been to the ocean twice. Once when we went to Cabo San Lucas and went deep sea fishing for Marlin and the second time was San Diego Cal. The water was very rough in both places and I really didn't want to get in. But I'm sure diving is awesome.

That just saddens me I have lived in Florida my whole life, and I forget that there is people that can't go to the beach much, or never get to go at all. I have to say if you ever get the chance to go diving do it. I just recently got certified, and i wish i did a lot earlier. It is absolutely amazing down there it's a whole different world. Its probably the most out of this world experience ever. Looking at a reef tank is awesome, but actually seeing a reef, and all its inhabitants is amazing.

I can't even imagine.Must be nice. I live on an Island -Newfoundland and have a co-worker who dives here for scallops and lobster. He's often seen humpback whales down there. Different experience for sure. If you want to come up and take a plunge make sure you have the insulation-frigid water.:)

Yeah... I would recommend anyone to try at least to go snorkeling somewhere if they have the opportunity especially if you love this hobby!

Me being 26 by the end of this month I've been diving for about 11 years... got certified at 15 but have been snorkeling and going to the ocean for as long as I can remember and would also encourage anyone who can and is interested to get certified so you can be able to explore a small bit of a whole new world we basically don't know about!

I guess in the states it's kinda different but here in PR basically I've never met anyone who hasn't been to the beach.....lol

How awesome would that be to have a job that you must dive in the ocean. That is way cool. I'm sure the water is nippy, but a chance to see whales and other creatures. I'm in aw!! I can't image. My job consists of alot of paperwork and show reining horses. The only water I see is drinking water and water to bath the horses. LOL!! Awesome job.

I just also got certified and was just in Florida a month or so ago and got to dive off of Destin Florida. The water was still a bit chilly then; a nice warm 68 degrees. A 7mm wetsuit helped a bit, but on the second dive I got a little cold. If you haven't dove you need to. I had an absolute blast. I can't wait to get back to the ocean and dive again. Living in Illinois absolutely sucks.

I forget that there is people that can't go to the beach much, or never get to go at all.

Yeah no kidding. I remember back in college, a buddy of mine mentioned to me at 2:00 AM that he had never seen the ocean. We were only 1.5 hours away, so I insisited he hop in the car. A little while later, his feet were in wet sand for the first time. There was a full moon too, so it was a really awesome night to see the ocean.

I never been diving(only snorkeling).

But ok, where I live there are no coral reefs so there isn't anything exciting to see. Except, a seahorse I saw when I was a kid and last summer when I saw a large tunicate colony.

What makes me laugh though is that we have a city with a location/suburb called "Coral beach". And there are no corals reefs on the island(or the Mediterranean sea, except a deep water coral reef in Israel) :)

I am from Fort Lauderdale and see a few Lion Fish every time I dive. I always make sure I am the last thing they ever see. Saw an absolute monster and a few smaller ones diving in 30 feet off FTL last week. A lot of the time unless you are checking under overhangs and corals heads with a flashlight they are easy to miss.

Last edited:
I would love too. Only been to the Ocean twice...went to Atlantic once as a child, and made it a point when I went out west for a business trip to dip my feet in the Pacific...never have time for more than that.

Since getting into marine aquaria I would give anything to go diving....I have a very dangerous feeling I will wind up giving up my tanks to be able to do it.

Diving is phenomenal (I am up to about 3000 dives, mostly in warm water, and in fact mostly in SE Asia) but that is how I got interested in reef tanks. Big animals are awe inspiring but cold water makes me nuts so I never did much of that. One Orca, lots of mantas, lots of sharks of various kinds, but mostly little guys.

Back