ich in reef system

chriz2

I have recently upgraded my 100 gallon reef to a 180 gallon reef. The transfer went great and the tank has been running great untill recently I introduce a red tail trigger about two monthes ago. I noticed right away that his top fin was a little blotchy and thought nothing about it. Know it looks like ich he is covered with a dust like specs. I also just lost 2 fish in the last few days. The others are eating very well. Is there a chance Ich can just be eliminated with out quarantine

Unfortunately, no. Best step is to remove all fish, QT and leave your main display fishless and let the ICH run it's course without any hosts.

Given the quick deaths and the "dust" like appearance; this could easily be velvet. Much faster an deadlier than ich.

Not sure what is in this "reef" but para guard made by seachem can be used at lower than recommended doses 1/4-1/2 dose in a reef tank without killing corals, and it will treat a whole slew of diseases. I learned this lesson the hard way with not QTing corals and brought disease into my DT. Using the para guard at lower doses take longer to eliminate to disease but as far as treating the tank as is, this is the only thing that I have seen work without killing all of the inverts in a tank

FYI, MrTuskfish and Snorvich are much more knowledgable than I am on anything disease related

Back