ID help (sold to me as a watermelon echino)

OkiNano

Hey everyone,
I was at the LFS the other day and they had this really cool looking peice of echino, I asked the guy about it and he said it was a watermelon echino. I got it for a reasonable price and I was excited, here are pics from the first day, its coloring up very nice in my tank and the pink is coming out more and more everyday. Can you echino experts help me out on the ID and tell me what it really is?? Thanks

Under daylights
IMG_0370.jpg

Under single blue L.E.D. moonlight
IMG_0373.jpg

Close up of eye, daylight
SFAvatar.jpg

The body is a green color which bright pink accents all over and the eyes glow like a neon green/yellow. The growth around the edges is also a bright green.

I don't think it is a watermelon...or can ever become one. It appears to be similar to the Tubs alien eye chalice that has some pink in it as well. HTH

Matt at reefready.net has a shot of a similar echino in his collectors section. He calls it a grape watermelon echino. Looks really similar. check it out. Al

The green rim and green mouth is a good indicator that it could be a watermelon. The pink spots on the base color make it very unique and not a tubs alien eye at all. The pink can overtake the base purplish color over time. Good luck with it.

im pretty sure it's not the watermelon but it still looks really nice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9708629#post9708629 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OkiNano
haha, so it may not be worth anything :(, at least I didn't pay too much for it :)
it is worth as much as someones willing to pay for it.. beautiful corals though... btw what type of camera are you using?? im looking for one

awesome pics..i think im going try and find a used one..corals and cameras to take pictures of my corals are gonna get me broke;)

here is a pic I took of it 3 night ago, lights were off and I just used my flash...I think the pink is really starting to show!

IMG_0395.jpg

Back