It’s been with me 10 days now and it’s almost all brown
My params are a bit out ,
Salinity 1.026
Kh 8.9
Po4 .20
No3 40
Mag 1350
Calcium 480

The acro is 1” of the water surface under a maxspect r6 right under the centre bulb cluster
It started off the first 3 days 6” down when I noticed one side was brown so moved it

Question is, what’s adrift here for it to be brown?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2440.jpeg
    IMG_2440.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
A couple of things (or a combination of these) could be the cause of the browning out.
1. PO4 and NO3 levels are a bit high.
2. Lighting. Do you know what lighting it was kept under before you got it?

As an example of lighting changing an Acros color, I got a frag of Acropora hoeksemai from a friend. It was bright turquoise in his tank under LED. In my tank under 10K metal halide and an actinic light bar, it's turned to more of a blue color. I'm not going to complain, it's still a great looking coral, it's healthy and fast growing.

Do you have a skimmer? Vodka dosing does little without one.

Acros are mostly high light. I would not pay much attention to what a lfs lighting, most but not all have too low of lighting to begin with so raise it up slowly to more light.

What is your lighting system?

Also a coral can brown out for a while till it adjust to a new system.

My skimmers producing a lot more than without carbon dosing , lighting is maxspect r6 160w

Yea a skimmer should produce more waste with carbon dosing.. It is removing bacteria from the water column that is feeding on Nitrates, phosphates and carbon.

While I am not real familiar with Maxspect lights and settings but they are a decent brand of lighting. With led's it depends on what it is set at and what the par is at the coral. Leds have really made lighting more complicated. You look to have the coral mounted higher up so it could be adjusting to the different light. It is not bleaching so it probably is not too much light.

Darkening brown color usually means not enough light. Zooxanthellae are brown and produce food for the coral. A coral will increase zooxanthellae in low light conditions to produce more food for the coral. So the idea is to bring down the amount of zooxanthellae so the other colors show through. That said I would not just go and increase lighting just yet because it may just be acclimating and it could be caused by higher nutrients or even the lighting from the LFS at this point. It takes a while sometimes.

Sometimes it is just time. About a year ago I purchased this bright purple acro and placed it in my lagoon. It went light tan in color after a few weeks. After about 6 months it started to color back up. Came back as bright blue and not purple though. My lights were different, my parameters are different so it was just changing.

Personally I would start with what Griss said and bring down PO4 and NO3 and start there and see what happens. It looks like you have some algae so your nutrient are probably higher than you think too. It looks like you are addressing this issue already so you seem to be on the right track.

What ever you decide do it slowly.

It looks healthy so you should be fine.

Thanks for the help, I’m sure your right about it adapting to my aquarium
It looks healthy but just the colour so I’ll see how it goes
Cheers

Todays params

Salinity 1.026
Kh 8
Calcium 470
Mag 1350
Phosphate 0.20
Nitrate 27

Gfo reactor gone online to bring down slightly the po4

Looks good to me to me though

Keep an eye on the PO4, you don't want it dropping too fast or too low. From what I understand, getting Nitrate and Phosphate out of whack with each other can lead to algae problems. I'll be honest and say, I don't really understand this, but it seems to be the case.

Maybe @kharmaguru can explain better.

Going to measure the po4 in a few hours because ime jbl phos ex ultra is the best gfo on the market and since I’m not looking to bottom out I’ll be vigilant with the testing
I’m kinda hoping a reduction in both nutrients will be in line which I’ll control by on and off periods of running the reactor

Todays tests

Salinity 1.026
Temp 26
Nitrate 25 ( disturbed the sand bed to level my sand, will dose 10ml vodka)
Kh 8.9
Mag 1320
Calcium 490
Phosphate 0.05 ( taking offline at lunch )

Last edited:
Acro gone!

just dropped the b4stard behind the rocks , tried turkey basting through a gap but all that come out was a load of crud
While I was elbow deep I blasted a few more holes and boy is there a load of crud now floating around
I’m expecting a spike in nitrates now !
Typical when I’m expecting my coral delivery on Tuesday, just hope it don’t jump to high

Back