43.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2053.jpg
    IMG_2053.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can you shoot some pix like the last two, but back the camera off some or tell your camera to focus on the fish? They aren't in focus. A good profile head shot would help too.

From what I can see, if I HAD to guess, it could be Scorpaena brasiliensis, but it might also be Scorpaenodes parvapinnis. My money would be on brasiliensis, but it could be something totally different, so good pix are a must.

Greg
My first thought was also s. brasilensis. Head structure is the give away

thanks for answers, it does look like s. brasilensis.
do you have info on it?
can i have a spottet hawkfish on 2'' whit it?

Greg
My first thought was also s. brasilensis. Head structure is the give away

That's what I was grabbing onto as well, Frank...GMTA :lol2:

Here's a blurb on S. brasiliensis from our scorp care article:

Scorpaena brasiliensis (Red Barbfish, Barbfish, Goosehead Scorpionfish)

Maximum Size: 10"-12" TL
Natural Habitat: Occurs on and around reefs in the Western Atlantic: Virginia, USA and northern Gulf of Mexico to Brazil; not occurring in Bermuda.
Depth: 1 to 100 meters.
Minimum Tank Size: 55 gallons.

Although most scorps can be just about any color based on their habitat, this species is generally mottled shades of reds and browns with white highlights, and are quite handsome fish. S. brasiliensis is probably the most common scorpionfish available to the hobbyist, and certainly one of the easiest to care for. It is very hardy and easily fed, as most specimens accept dead food readily, both from a feeding stick or the water column. Although many scorpionfish are cryptic or simply sit there looking like a rock, this species is quite personable and will soon recognize its keeper, looking for a handout.

As you likely noticed, S. brasiliensis will be a large-ish fish, definitely a good 8"+ in captivity. It would likely eat a 2" hawkfish some day.

Just to show you how mellow brasiliensis is...

newfriends700.jpg

I really enjoy keeping this species. They're very mellow and don't pay any atrention to anything they can't eat.

how do i get it to eat dead food, im trying to give it frosen krill, but it wont eat it. when i first got it it ate live fish and live shrimps. but i soon have to get more live food for him.

Back