ID this Macro you get big points

Horge

Thanks for the remarks. I have gotten two other emails form marine botanist (to include Dr. Richard Moe) and all have said it looks like a peltata. However, if you check back in some of the posts here and at RAG, you will see where I and even some others have wondered about this may be a morph of serratula, with the blades just being round rather than elongated. I also saw that 'cup' in one of my books on discription. It is not my plant. I have just been tring to ID it. I guess we will never know what it really is. The guy has it in his tank and bought it from a local LFS. You could be correct. I'm know expert on plants by far, I just have allot of info for ID. I have the new Littler coming and was hoping something may be in there but probably not. So far about 500+ people have viewed 'this' plant and about 20 that really know their plants and none have seen one like it :(

Last edited:
The algae in question has been positively ID'ed by a U of Iowa professor of botany, after doing a number ot test on the sample.

Sargasum turbinariodes, which is very similar to Turbinaria ornata

I still disagree and pose the possibility that this guy goofed.

IMO, it is Chlorophyta so how can it be a Sargassum? It is a type of Caulerpa. Not Turbinaria. The colony pic showing the runners is the whole story.

Probably some obscure species from Vanuatu or some other crazy island where we get LR from that hasn't been classified.

I think Horge and everyone else is on it. It looks like a mix of C.serrulata and some stumpy prolifera if you can sort of morph the two together. 3 will get you 5 that there are several more un-ID'd Caulerpas out there waiting for us too.

I've never heard of a brown algea that was green. I think that ID could stand to be verified. Here's the email addy from the phycology proff at Southamptom College, he might be able to help if he's not away somewhere at the moment.

lliddle@southampton.liu.edu

Here's the link to his faculty profile. It's been a few years since I've been there (mid 80's) but Larry was always open to such things back then, doubt he's change much ;)

F-n-F

Well, like I told the guy, I would have to strech myself for it to be a Sargassum and I would be more apt it to be more Turbinaria based just on "leaves" than a Sargass. I can only said the botany prof has the actual plant and a number of indivduals there at Iowa ran tests on it for free, what ever they were, who ever they were. Even the guy who has the pant in his tank after looking at a number of pics thinks its that. I have asked for his e-mail address of the prof. I like you and others have thought it is peltata or serratula

I finally got Littlers new book very, very nice :D

Bill

I've never heard of a brown algea that was green

There are lots of them that are green, only not that green, more yellow green or brownish green. I have sent the pics to a number of maine botanists and all of them say some type of Caulerpa, with most on the line of peltata[/] with one or two saying maybe some from of serratula to include

Dr. Richard Moe
University of California, Berkeley,
Jepson Herbarium
Berkeley, CA

website
http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/rlmoe/tioc/ioctoc.html

Dr. Celia M. Smith
University of Hawaii
Manoa Botany Department

website

http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/cm_smith

I'll try sending Larry an e-mail

It's not a Sargassum IMO. There are some chemical test to determine if it's a brown or a green due to pigment differences between the two groups(eg Chl b will be lacking in a Brown(possesses Chl a and c) wereas it will be present in a Green(has Chl a and b).
That should be relatively easy to prove.
There are storage product differences and pigment differents beside these as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Frick

Are there more Caulerpas in there?

35 species :D

Tax keys to all algae's and families. Each image is accompanied by a number of line drawings. I don't know how much time you have spent in tax books/manuals but I can tell you this, often the line drawings are a better aide at ID'ing than actual photos. The only draw back from the book is the photos are smaller 3 x 2.5 vs. the old 3 x 4.75. I also find the images more sharper and detailed. I have 6 marine algae books and this is the best by far. Would love to see one on the Indo, just like it. ;) The closest is Gavino and Trono on Indo's. You may want to take the time to find a copy of an inexpensive book by Abbott & Dawson;

How to Know the Seaweeds

This is a tax/key book with line drawings, 140 pg

Is my dish-scrubby stuff in there?

Got a pic or link, I don't remember if you posted it somewhere..... we will see ?

By the way did you know there is an alage that looks like "bubble alage" Valonia only it is an odd form of the common "turf" alage Derbesia ? I wonder how many time this has been mis-ID'ed. This species has a Halicystis Stage. It's first writings were 1970. osterhoutii

Hi Boomer, here is the link to my thread in the algae forum:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=202153

You got all the cool books now. Well I've been sitting on the $100 since xmas. Time to get the new Littler too.

So, was this mystery SargassoCaulerpo actually a brown alga?
Did I see somewhere that it eventually grew floats? (that kind of ices it as Sargassum if it grew floats) Man, it sure looked like Caulerpa. I would have lost a lot of money on that bet. :D

Well, he finally goit the real answer and more or less as everyone expected with an apology.

Boomer

His name is Prof Hung Lamb but, is no longer at the U of I He has moved on to his own practice, but still does a lot of work for the U of I. (He was a friend of the staffs at U of I.)
Now, I got them mixed up. He gave me 2 papers that had names on them. one was Sargassum turbinariodes and Caulerpa nummelatia The one that he has marked as being it is Caulerpa nummelatia.

I am so sorry for the mix up on this.

Ozone and Horge you were right on target, as most others were :thumbsup:

Back