Idaho Grape Monti color concern.

AwwNuts

Is it possible for an Idaho Grape Monti to be bright sherbet orange in color?

Not too long ago we had a club auction and purchased a monti that was sold as Idaho Grape. When i purchased the monti it was a orange/brown colored frag and seller said it should color up to purple. Well its been in my tank since March and the only color change i seen it do is orange. I've placed it hi & low and made no difference. Tank is lid up with LED, so i'm curious to know if this monti is capable of being orange before it colors up properly. If not then now i know that it isn't an Idaho Grape.

you know thats funny cuz i fragged my grape and one of the frags turned like a pinkish color so who knows...

bdsage, see thats the thing that i notice, it wasn't a good orange like my orange monti that i have it was like sherber which is a mixture of orange and slight hint of pink.

was that frag in the shade or why did you think that it turned that color?

Pics for reference

uploadfromtaptalk1399076072459.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399076092714.jpg

I am going to agree with Peter Eichler. I think its a Red/Orange Cap. Looking at the growth patterns makes me think this.

He is a picture of a Idaho Grape Cap for reference versus Red Cap and Green Cap. Very fast grower.

I am actually in process of downsizing/removing all my Caps as they have taken over too much real estate for other SPS.

Idaho Grape:

Red Cap:

Purple Rimmed Green Cap

Sincerely,

David

Thanks David for the reply. I figure something was odd. I'm no cap expert but def could use opinions. A few of us bought browned up frags and we're told they were Idaho grape and that it would colored up. The coloring up process didn't seem quite right but I gave it the benefit of the doubt in case this process can occur. I'll just add it to my frag tank and have it available for fellow refers when they come by

The color doesn't seem right, but the growth texture matches more closely to an Idaho Grape. Very odd indeed!

i'm going to take a better picture of this frag when i get home from work today as the pics that i took weren't all that great.

I got the Ponape Birdsnest thats to the left of this cap at the same time from the same seller, the Ponape was bleached white and has then started getting his colors back.

I purchased an "Idaho grape" locally and it doesn't look anything like the picture above. Mine isn't orange but a very faint purple almost pinkish. I think people just think that of what they have is close they can call it something fancy for a few extra bucks. And say It will color up under proper lighting yada yada yada

im not sure why my grape is pink cuz the rest are light blue but the mother colony is purple/brown btw they have always been in high light mh and now led...

The previous hobbiest grew the main colony under mh and t5 in the DT. He has other tanks where he has other corals and frags which are lit by orphek and kessills so it has been previously under led my guess

Back