Identification Requested

Nano-Neophyte

I got this big guy (maybe ten inched across) from a guy tearing down his reef. He seems very happy in my tank so far. I have limited knowledge on clams .. can anyone tell me what kind clam he is and if there's anything special I need to know about his diet and needs?

Thanks!

Thanks moga ... he seems really healthy to me. I just want to keep him that way. Does anyone else want to take as stab at identifying him? I'd love to know what he is?

If those are scutes on the sides, then it is not a derasa. Looks like a squamosa to me.

Post a picture of the shell and another of the incurrent siphon if you want to be sure.

Enjoy that monster.

Thank you so much for your input. Here are shots of the side and siphon. Does this confirm your identification? Boy, he sure didn't appreciate being turned around. <g>

If this is a Tridacna Squamosa clam .. anything I should know about him? Is he typical or unusual? I'm providing the expected .. ample light .. excellent motion .. any suggestions?

Thanks again!

how big is that clam.

oh and i am so jealous.

squamuossa are really easy to keep secnod easiest clam to keep. dersa is the easiest.

you should maybee once a week feed some phyto. it can;t hurt even though it really doesn't need it as much as a smaller clam.

yeah ..sorry for giving you a wrong info..
should've looked at it more carefully..

Back