Identify: Palythoa?

Kirino

Some time ago I picked up a leather from someone. After a while I discovered it had one of these guys growing on the back of it. It hasn't been that long and now there are like ... 6 of them. Is this a Palythoa? I read those are pretty invasive and toxic. This is in my first setup. I'm thinking that I shouldn't move this in my new setup. What do you guys think?

20231006_132446.jpg

Yep some kind of paly or zoa. To get palytoxin poisoning it needs to enter an open wound or eyes/mouth so therefore requires some care. While there is real risk I personally think it's over stated.

Yep some kind of paly or zoa. To get palytoxin poisoning it needs to enter an open wound or eyes/mouth so therefore requires some care. While there is real risk I personally think it's over stated.
Agree. And I don't really consider them invasive, I just confine my Zoas to a particular area of the tank and let them do their thing.

Whatever you do, I would not try to manually remove them unless you're willing to do some by mitigating potential health risks. Most recommend nitrile gloves, eye protection and a mask covering the mouth and nose. Then, thoroughly washing after you've removed them.

Back