I'm new to the hobby and my tank crashed help please.

I think most of us have felt some of the wife pressure at some point "we should get one of those fish, they are really pretty" and wanting to keep them happy about the hobby go ahead and get the fish. Sometimes it's fine, and other times maybe not the best choice. It was like that with me and my wife when I was getting into the hobby, but I've talked with her about water chemistry, and fish stocking, and fish compatability and she's become aware enough to know not to push me to get someting, but now if she likes something, she will ask if one would go well in my tank and understands if I say it will nip at coral, or grow too big, or bully other fish...etc. Early in the hobby, she was noticibly annoyed when I shot down her ideas, but now understands that some research needs done before any particular fish or coral is added to the tank and makes the hobby less stressful for us both. My sugestion, which it seems like you already have, would to be to get your wife a little involved in the hobby as well so she is more understanding when things are alot of work or cant get the things you want. My wife doesn't do any maintanance,and only occasionally feeds my fish or cleans the glass, but nothing more. She still is aware there are constraints though and is involved enough with the tank that she enjoys the hobby as well. I often involve her when I pick out new coral or fish and ask her opionion if she likes something I already researched, or likes how coral looks where I put it...etc. Has worked well for us and we both have enjoyed my tanks for years.

Also, great on you for comming here and having an open mind about the advice for the issues you've had. Many people come to the forum looking for reassurance, but when they hear they were in the wrong, get defensive and don't want to listen to advise from experienced hobbiests. You'll surly be on your way to having a successful tank simply by working out your problems here and trying to do your best from the start.

I agree with the advice others have been giving on your issues, so you have plenty to go off of. Sorry you started off with issues, but most of us have started off in the hobby the same way.

In my experience in this hobby, (which is limited to only 6yrs, so please take whatever I say with a grain of salt) I have found Damsels to be quite territorial and because of this are one of the fish that I would not add to one of my tanks.There are however many more peaceful fish that are excellent choices for being added first.

Additionally, like most things in this hobby, timing is crucial and I have found that fish selection and order of being added is very important. I am not trying to sway you one way or the other but just wanted to emphasize the importance of fish selection in relation to timing, tank size and suitability with other tank mates.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah we added the fish in an order, least territorial to most that way everyone that's an *** was going to be put in place last meaning that everyone has their spots already and less issues. The damsel's are just going to be Guinea pigs to make sure all is wel. They will more than likely be returned to the store for a credit. Unless I can find a springer damsel. In which case he will stay Incase of a flat worm some how getting in after quarantine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most of us have felt some of the wife pressure at some point "we should get one of those fish, they are really pretty" and wanting to keep them happy about the hobby go ahead and get the fish. Sometimes it's fine, and other times maybe not the best choice. It was like that with me and my wife when I was getting into the hobby, but I've talked with her about water chemistry, and fish stocking, and fish compatability and she's become aware enough to know not to push me to get someting, but now if she likes something, she will ask if one would go well in my tank and understands if I say it will nip at coral, or grow too big, or bully other fish...etc. Early in the hobby, she was noticibly annoyed when I shot down her ideas, but now understands that some research needs done before any particular fish or coral is added to the tank and makes the hobby less stressful for us both. My sugestion, which it seems like you already have, would to be to get your wife a little involved in the hobby as well so she is more understanding when things are alot of work or cant get the things you want. My wife doesn't do any maintanance,and only occasionally feeds my fish or cleans the glass, but nothing more. She still is aware there are constraints though and is involved enough with the tank that she enjoys the hobby as well. I often involve her when I pick out new coral or fish and ask her opionion if she likes something I already researched, or likes how coral looks where I put it...etc. Has worked well for us and we both have enjoyed my tanks for years.

Also, great on you for comming here and having an open mind about the advice for the issues you've had. Many people come to the forum looking for reassurance, but when they hear they were in the wrong, get defensive and don't want to listen to advise from experienced hobbiests. You'll surly be on your way to having a successful tank simply by working out your problems here and trying to do your best from the start.

I agree with the advice others have been giving on your issues, so you have plenty to go off of. Sorry you started off with issues, but most of us have started off in the hobby the same way.

Yes I am easily working her in and she understands the researching of fish she would like. She does her own and we talk about it, she does help clean but I supervise to make sure nothing unneeded enters the water. Like windex or aerosols and so on. But she is involved and loves it which I am so thankful for and we are both understanding. I was just looking for answers, nothing more. But I do believe we have narrowed it down to the cause of the crash after some reader change of suggested possibilities.

Final conclusion of mine that has happened to the tank. I do not believe it was crypto but ich. The fish died from a bacterial bloom which was cause by high phosphates which in turn sucked the oxygen from the water suffocating the fish. I also believe the zoanthids May have released some palytoxin as the wife got severely sick last night with symptoms of poisoning. I don't not believe the heater had anything to do with the crash as I had thought before. The tank will remain as it stands with the last two Nems(spotted rose bubble tip and a condi that are flourishing. 16 snails and 12 hermits. And some remaining coral's.

To everyone that gave their input I really can't thank you enough and am grateful for all of you guys. So glad to be a part of this community and for the support everyone offers. Truly great to see there are still people in this world who care. I will post pictures of the tank as it sits in all its lonely glory.

Sorry to hear about the crash. FWIW I have a 90 SPS with lots a paly and zoa and with a yellow tang, Kole's tang, and a coral beauty. Note the comb-toothed Kole's and the yellow browse on very different types of algae; this particular combo does very well together and keeps the algae under control. I feed them 1/3 cube frozen mysis and 1/3 cube Formula 2 daily; the rest comes from grazing. So after the ich waiting period try that kind of load. If things work out maybe add another fish or two after 3 months.

Hippo tang btw was a poor choice for several reasons.

51cd54937f27ef9bed50729b28a1022e.jpg
0563a53486db5ed309a13f18a7330d31.jpg
dc008a48118c6fdeb439daf4c99fb5de.jpg

The best advice would be to slow way, way down. A reef tank is a massive balancing act. The more you have to balance, the more complicated the hobby becomes. The age of a tank allows nature to provide help in that balance.

I LOVE THIS STATEMENT

Back