I'm returning to Reefing. Would you care to join me?

I find myself returning after a number of years. I had been breeding Apistogrammas and Shell dwelling cichlids for the last 20 years as a main focus. Just spent the last month taking down my fishroom and cleaning everything up and decided to go back to a time I was happy and most at peace. My god things have changed, I always kept up with bits and pieces of reef keeping and I think a lot of the pitfalls of the 90's are much more understood today.

Lebowski! How the heck are you!! It's nice to see returning members. I wish you much success on your new endeavor!

Hey! I'm alive! I'm doing great! How are you? I'm glad to see that someone recognizes me here!

I will be posting my journey here shortly. I am considering some unique ideas..

Here is what I'm rolling in my mind. Any input is always appreciated.

1.Species tank- Heteractis Magnifica w/ Amphiprion ocellaris
2. Species tank- Stychodactyla Gigantea w/ Amphiprion latezonatus
3. Shallow reef tank paludarium.

I am really interested in option 3 for the time being. Have any of you seen theses paludariums? Take a look here if you are unfamiliar: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=paludarium

This guy has a nice attempt at what I'm thinking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KDY4vvna9I&t=238s

I would like to become extremely creative here as I have set aside a good amount of cash for this project.

Hope to hear from you guys shortly! Happy Tuesday!

I've always been a fan of the shallow reef tanks, the one you linked is stunning! I just love how it can be viewed from so many angles and the visual impact is different from every angle. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to build!

I'm in eastern WA, and we have several small stores in Spokane, two that I frequent, but one has just been sold (again) to another operator. I understand there are a number of stores in Seattle metroplex, but I'm not sure.

Hello, I am thinking about jumping back in as well. I sold off my tank about 10 years ago. Kids ate up all the money! Tagging along here because I want to learn what's new as well. I had the MH VHO setup as well. A lot has changed over the last decade!

^^^^^ Lots of great reefers in the So Cal. area, you could join the club that puts on the RAP show's around the country, I would follow build threads for great tips. Happy Reefing.

Hello all,

My goodness, it's been so long since I have posted on this site. More than a dozen years ago I left my 10 gal seahorse tank and 29 gal reef.

Anyhoo, I am considering setting up another tank. This time, I am 32. I will be living on my own, I have a buttload of cash. You know... as opposed to when I was 16, living in my room and selling scrap metal for money to purchase corals. Times have changed.

1. Since I have been in the hobby, there has been change. Obviously. The biggest change is in the lighting. I am used to probe/pulse start ballasts with a 250w 14k-20k Halide bulb. Oh the days. Shimmer effects, DIY canopies and an electric bill.

Is anyone still running halides? I see a growth in the LED. Obviously there are benefits environmentally and perhaps even in coral growth, but please enlighten me or try to deter me from my old ways... otherwise, perhaps LED ISN'T necessarily the way to go. Like I said, money isn't an issue here. However, I am still very active in reducing costs and energy consumption.

2. Automation. Is anyone running any really effective gear (software) for maintaining temp, salinity, alk, ca, mg, top offs, water pumps? I would like to set up the most automated system imaginable. I like tech. I would like to feel safer knowing I can leave my tank alone for a few days if necessary.

I am basically interested in this topic for now. I have read countless opinions and can also do the math and plug in some scientific variables with PAR and all that, but I am looking for actual experience and some anecdotal evidence and backup for claims.

Thanks for any interest. Please feel free to post pictures and detailed information.
:fish1: Hi, I use to run my system with the 250watt Phoenix bulbs, but switched to the Mitra LX 7206 lights, and couldn't be happier, as they have a very good shimmer effect and no disco bulb effect, plus they don't transfer heat to my system like my old M/H, VHO system did. The new G5 Radion lights are nice to, as I installed 8 on my sister's system. I still prefer the Mitra's though. For the tech stuff, look into the GHL Profilux or the Apex Fusion systems, and both are really good systems for automation. :fish1:

Back