im thinking again

demonboy279

ok guys im thinking about setting up a 10 gallon with one or 2 fish and some live rock. is it ok to keep a fish or 2 in a 10 gallon without a skimmer and it live happy? a small fish. nothing big.

what im thinking is a 1.5 to 2 inch sand bed 3 or 4 hermits and a mexican turbo snail and a bumble bee snail. i might put a soft coral in there but im not sure about that yet. and plenty of "fauna"? (the bug)

ill have a hang on back filter that will also supply the water flow and it circulates water pretty well in the tank. i have a 55 gallon i can get some sand from and some cured liverock. so i know i can get the crittters.

would this work?
what kind of fish would be best? could i possible keep 1 maroon clown?

should i do it or not?

A couple of neon gobies would probably be fine in a 10g tank. Maroon clowns grow very large, so I wouldn't try that.

If you put in some live rock, it should be okay. Around 10 lbs likely would do the job. You wouldn't need any filter media except perhaps carbon.

it is a carbon filter n i was thinking about 12 pounds of live rock.

so it will work?

thanks alot bertoni youve helped me alot since ive been here

go to <i>link removed</i> you will find a lot of helpful info there

Last edited by a moderator:
My 10 gal after a recent 3rd revision of it, 1 fish so far, might add one more - I just keep changing things around: :D

DSCN0222.jpg

Probably THE most important thing with these 10 gal tanks without skimmers is frequent water changes. Probably at least once a week for optimum health of the inhabitants and cleanliness of the tank.

If you want to be successful with a skimmerless tank of that diminutive size, then don't be tempted to add any more fish, and be disciplined to keeping only coral that does not require feeding. Small tanks like that are very very unstable and the slightest addition of organics in the form of excess fish or coral food would lead to an algae outbreak.

i wasnt planning on any advanced corals or anything the least bit hard to keep. i was thinking a small soft coral like a mushroom or maybe a green star polyp cuz those things look neat. im not sure yet ive got plenty of time but i wont be gettin anything complicated ill leave that for the 55 gallon.

i kinda figured id have to do my water changes often to keep the water quality up. thats not a problem.

your tank looks pretty good. how much live rock you got?

That's probably only 7 or 8 lbs, a bit on the light side, but I'm doing fine. I can always add more from the sump of my big system if I feel I need it. That monti cap is probably twice that size now. Goes to show you can keep them in a skimmerless tank with PC lighting - pretty hardy coral. ;)

Back