IMAX Deep Sea

heyfredyourhat

Premium Member
Im not sure if anyone else has seen this movie, but we just watched it last night. It was decent. Seemed a little bit cheesy with the narration, but some very nice visuals that make up for it

Few questions though. It was noted that every year, 8 days after the full moon in august, ALL of the corals spawn??

Why is this, and does it happen in captivity? Or can it happen in captivity?

Any ideas. I know it is probably a very long and deep subject.

I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I saw it in the IMAX theator at the Louisville Science Museum, and it was AMAZING! (Don't know how it would compare on a regular television screen though.)

Ya true for some places, but I don't think all the corals in the world spawn at the same time. It has stuff to do with temperature and it has something to do with the full moon and maybe tides and other daily, monthly and yearly rhythms. I don't really know why this happens, I don't think anybody really knows for sure. It can happen in captivity and I've heard it helps when natural seawater is used.

I don't know the exact reason but I'm just taking a guess why they all do it at once. It may be a strategy to overwhelm whatever may feed on the eggs, sperm, and larvae. If all the corals start spawning at the same time, they can increase the chances the offspring will survive by giving the organisms that feed on them far too much to choose from. Anyway, this is just an idea. I didn't actually bother to look it up or anything.

Check out the beginning, they talk of the caribbean, and show great looking yellow Tangs. Bad editing ,eh?

I believe that the august spawning you're referring to happens in the great barrier reef, not sure if it happens elsewhere too, I just know it does there. Something to do with tides, season, all that jazz. It can be recreated in home aquariums, usually the larger ones, but possible. Ever run across some of the nicer moonlight setups with controlers to simulate moon phases and all?

I forget the name of the DVD, I'll try and find it, but there are many many many good reef movies out there, I'm not sure if the one I'm thinking of was an IMAX production or not, but no narration to it, just background music along with hours of reefy beauty to watch. See what I can find for ya...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9893832#post9893832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by papagimp

I forget the name of the DVD, I'll try and find it, but there are many many many good reef movies out there, I'm not sure if the one I'm thinking of was an IMAX production or not, but no narration to it, just background music along with hours of reefy beauty to watch. See what I can find for ya...

sounds good, thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9893832#post9893832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by papagimp

sounds good, thanks

Back