Importing Corals

belgian_waffleman

Where can I find info on importing live Corals? It would be for personal use only.

Basically, I'm looking to take some corals back with me when I re-enter the US in a couple of weeks. Has any-one done this?

Waffleman

Here's a thread where this has been discussed in detail. Basically, you can expect any necessary permits to take longer than a couple of weeks to obtain.

Thanks, that's the best information I've read.

I'll pay the couple extra $$ and buy local. By the time I pay for the paperwork, I can buy a very nice coral.

Waffleman

Just get hooked up with a good/reputable service company. Typically they have connections to importers. I know mine does.

My story is that I travel quite frequently, and when I do, I like to stop in a aquarium stores, when time permits.
Now on my last trip I noticed significant diffrences in price for corals. They seem to be a lot cheaper in Belgium then they are here. for example baseball size pink birdsnest = $29 (including VAT)

So, I'm not diving myself. I'm pretty sure that it is aquacultured stuff but there is no proof.
I can't find anything that includes or excludes store bought corals, even from countries that are not tropical.

Waffleman

Back