Indo-Reef Fish with HLLE

Alyssa214

Hello,

I have a 900 gallon, (700 gallon exhibt with 200 gallon sump) Indo-Reef Fish Only system.

Species Include:
Blue Green Chromis (~15)
Goatfish (1)
Scribbled Angelfish (1)
Vagabond (1)
Threadfin (1)
Passer Angel (1)
Chrysurus Angel (1)
Sailfin Tang (1)
Humu trigger (1)
Blue Spotted Toby (1)
Raccoonfish (1)
Foxface (1)
Birdwrasse (1)

This tank was setup too quickly and unfortunately the Sailfin, Passer, and Chrysurus have developed HLLE.

The bird wrasses rostrum is completely inflamed and twice the size it normally is. He exhibits flashing a lot but skin scrapings have been taken and there are no signs of parasites.

The system has a protein skimmer, homemade trickle filter with marine bio blocks and filter padding and no Carbon. Water parameters are all within range( SG, pH, NH3, NO2, & NO3)

I've read a bunch about increasing their vitamins (a, c, d, e, and b) and supplementing there food to possibly help reverse it or at least stop progressing but needed other opinions.

Any help is appreciated, thank you !

Trickle filters are notorious nitrate factories, so when you say within range, what amount are you referring to? Also, most of the fish you mentioned are grazers by nature and benefit from a wide ranging sources of food. Do you have live rock within the tank? All the algae sponges and other fauna associated with live rock really helps fulfill their natural dietary requirements. Also, check to make sure there is no stray voltage running through your system. Even low amounts can affect a fish sensitive lateral line system.

post some pics of your setup, tank, filtration etc. Also list your parameters and some pictures of the sick fish. How was it setup too quickly? What are you feeding them?

I had a 300 gal (upgraded from a 180)for years until about 2 years ago. When my hippo and my orange shoulder tang were about 2 years old, I started getting lazy and didn't add supplements to their frozen food. (Also my LFS guy said it's a waste of money). Well, my beloved HippoTang and orange shoulder tang both got HLLE. My blue tang was really horrific looking. I tried all kinds of things. But what healed them in the end was adding garlic (extreme), zoe and selcon to their food every single time. Now... both were still alive when I had to find them new homes as I had to downsize. BUT... although otherwise healthy, they both had very notable visible scars from HLLE. They were 11 years old when I had to downsize.

I'll see if I can find some old pics on my computer.

And.... however many years down the road now, I always add the supplements . I dont even have tangs anymore! Just paranoid.
Hope this helps! And best wishes.

One more thing... are you sure its HLLE?1

There is no stray voltage as that was one of the first things I checked.
Parameters are as follows: Just checked today

NH3 .00
N02 0.00
NO3 9.4
SG 1.025
pH 8.12
Temp 78

Unfortunately there is no live rock in the exhibit as I was told to place coral inserts in. They are 2 large inserts that collect algae like no tomorrow. I place 2 pieces of live rock in twice a day. In the mornings I usually feed out some lettuce or seaweed off the feed clips and in the afternoons Ill rub some Omnivore Gel Diet onto the rocks and allow them to graze off that.

Food fed out includes:
Herbivore/Omnivore Gel Diets
Clam on half shells
Pygmy Angel Food Diet Cubes (Ocean Nutrition)
Variety of Mysis
Ocean plankton
Spirulina
Brine Shrimp
Shrimp
Capelin
Squid

The tank was setup with bio blocks from another system and 2 days later all the wild caught species were added....talk about stress!

Ill add pictures in just a minute

I also forget to mention there is a UV Sterilizer on the system as well.

Here are some pics:
20180717_081105.jpg

For some reason it wont let me load any of the pictures except this one. Ill try for more.

Back