Inexpensive lighting/What are the choices

Started reading your thread Miatawnt2b. I am glad you posted a reply to mine, thank you.
In case you all havent noticed this country is selling out to China, Indonesia, and numerous other cheap foriegn countries ... I lost my job which after 18 yrs closed its doors and moved all of its production to china ... its just the way things are in life "Deal with it"

Started reading your thread Miatawnt2b. I am glad you posted a reply to mine, thank you.
In case you all havent noticed this country is selling out to China, Indonesia, and numerous other cheap foriegn countries ... I lost my job which after 18 yrs closed its doors and moved all of its production to china ... its just the way things are in life "Deal with it"

Sorry to hear that OldSchool and yes, i think most of the parts adn labor is being produced in china these days, thats why i don't get why people back odyssea lights and skimmers, crap all there products. I think most are very solid. You can't beat there water pumps and powerheads. I think there skimmers and lights are very solid now as well. And for those prices, other manufaturers need to wise up. One of two things will happen. Odyssea will raise there prices like everyone else or everyone else will lower there's. I know what i'm betting on(not the good one)

I like t5s and aquactinics. I have a 36 inch t5 system on my 92 bowfront (5 bulb system) and it is doing great, for the money it is a great buy.

luke33 yeah but many MH fixture by Jebo caught fire, I would not trust them unless UL approuved.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9321123#post9321123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Icefire
luke33 yeah but many MH fixture by Jebo caught fire, I would not trust them unless UL approuved.

yeah but many MH fixture by Jebo caught fire

Urban Legend!
I want proof! Not I know this guy who knows this guy...
Or
I read it here on RC...actual proof
It's been posted here and has grown into an urban legend but no one has ever shown proof...
In the end it always turns out it's just some disgruntled buyer and it's also inflamed (no pun intended) by someone who thinks owning the most expensive is the best and looks down on and criticizes others.
Also "houses have been burned down"...yet no proof...also just I read it here.
They never blame power strips or too many plug in or water splashing causing a short or shoddy mod.

Icefire
This no way directed towards you, I see this posted everytime when someone talks about or buys one.
It has yet to be backed up...all they ever say is that they just that they read it on a thread. always without support!

And thats how Urban Legends are born.

Last edited:
The new Odyssea MH's are pretty much the same as the coralife which are 900 bux for the 72" fixture, or 549 for the odyssea. Most lights these days are made in china anyhow......and by the way, the new lights are UL approved, and that doesn't mean diddly imo. Like tommy boy said, i'll take a crap in a box and guarantee its a piece of crap.

MHs have a spread of about 24 inches leaving you with a half a foot on either side of your tank that wont be getting much light.

I have a 40 breeder with the same footprint as your tank but shorter, and went with 2 x 150W HQI using reef optix reflectors. That was a couple of years ago and I spent ~$450 on it with bulbs. When I upgrade tanks I will continue to use these lights on this tank as a frag tank. Or as supplemental lighting on a larger tank. If I had to do it again I would by the 150W lumenarc DE reflectors and a dual (or 2) HQI ballasts.

I've bought twice in this hobby one to many times, I never plan to do that again unless it is something that I know holds its value used and only upgrade due to a large increase in tank size. Spending big once often leads to less than spending small three times.

D-Rod there is at least 4 persone on RC where the Capacitor caught fire and I saw at least 2 threads linked here with picture.

There is also customer service, aquatrader has none.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9321792#post9321792 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Icefire
D-Rod there is at least 4 persone on RC where the Capacitor caught fire and I saw at least 2 threads linked here with picture.

I have exploded a lot of capacitors in my day, (mainly scaring electronics lab professors) and none of them caught fire, ever. They oose and smoke, melt, can explode like a firecracker, but I've bever seen one catch fire.

-J

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9321792#post9321792 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Icefire

How does customer service make a light fixture catch on fire?:confused:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9321123#post9321123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Icefire

Have you submitted the LED fixtures that you've designed/built/are selling to underwriters laboratories?

-J

I've ordered a few things from aquatraders in my day as well and there customer service was just as good as many other vendors i've bought from over the years. And i've never heard of a fire caused by the lights, just people's capacitators melting, and having a burning smell. And this isn't the only light that's ever done that. Because they are affordable people call them crap, thats all. There the same lights as the coralights. All made in china

Back