Installing a sump

mistaflicksta

Well I had been trying to stay away from installing a sump into my tank due to limited space in the stand and I didnt want to go with a 10gallon sump. After alot of procrastinating on my part I finally decided to go with a 20 gallon high tank.

Here is what I will be installing:
20gal high sump
Octopus nwb 110 skimmer
rio 1400 return punp
about 10lbs of live rock
phosban reactor with GFO
phosban reactor with biopellets
HoB overflow rated up to 1300gph
aqualift to keep syphon in overflow

Here is the sump the day I brought it home from the meeting
1205102020.jpg

Here is the sump cycling and the skimmer breaking in (been running since monday)
1206101428.jpg

yesterday I did a mock up and let it run with the tank on line (did water changes through out the evening and used old water for the sump to reduce Stress)
1210100836.jpg

Here is what the skimmer collection cup looked like this morning
1210100836a.jpg

I removed the HOB skimmer and the Eheim caniste filter and already to top of my tank looks empty(no more death star look) I still need to move the reactor and the heater into the sump.
1210100836c.jpg

this is a huge HOB overflow, good thing it wont be seen once its in place
1210100835b.jpg

Ok this is where I stand righ now: I wil be pre drilling holes for reenforcement brackets as I will be removing 75% of the supporting shelf. My brother was suppose to help me move the tank and dissasemble the stand, instal sump and do the plumbing, but he has to work this weekend. Now I need help doing this or I will have to wait till next weekend to do all of this. If any of you have the time and are willing to help I would greatly appreciate it. I can buy some beer and some pizza and we can knock this out in a couple of hours this weekend. Let me know.

Thanks

Erik Guzman

hey eric i might have time this weekend. what exactly do you need help with? you gotta move the whole tank??

Im gonna empty the tank about 3/4 of the way then move the tank to the corner stand then fill the tank back up. then im gonna take the stand apart, put the sump in, put the stand back together move it in place. then reverse the process to put the tank back on the stand. Then I will finish off the plumbing, which I am already pre cutting the pvc to make it a smooth process.

I might be able to help on Saturday! There is going to be lots of games on Sunday that i can't miss!!! :)

Steffen Sparks

Thanks Pedro and Steffen, I will let you know later this evening if I will need the help. My handyman loves beer and once he calls me back I will know if I will need the help tommorow.

So I got the Handyman to help me at the cost of some beers and pizza. Well it started as a good idea but then we started drinking. Everything started good but as we kept drinking we started to forget to put things back where they went. I didn't take that many pics like I wanted to because I kept forgeting to take them. here are some pics that I managed to remember to take
1210101759b.jpg

1210101759.jpg

1210101823-1.jpg

1211101032.jpg

I will post more as soon as photobucket stops acting up.

Oh yeah this morning I woke up to a burnt smell and saw that we had left all of the wiring on the floor behind the stand and the return line was cut a little short so it was splashing. All of that splashing made it into one of the extention cords and started burning this morning. All wiring is now hanging on the wall with drip loops and all of the plumbing is now the how how it is supposed to be. LOL!

Looking good Erik!!! How is the Rio working out for you? Did you have to throttle it back some? Thanks

Steffen Sparks

Thanks Steffen, the rio is running perfectly it is running at full power. the overflow is able to handle the pump with no problems. the only thing that seems to have a problem with the change is the hippo. It also looks like there is a bacterial bloom( rolling clowd) that popped up. its been clearing up since this morning.

clean look on top of the tank
1211101029.jpg

1211101031.jpg

I finally got a new batch of biopellets I will be posting my trials and errors with these as well. I had tried them before but not in a reactor. I had thrown them in my canister filter and did lower Nitrates in my tank but it wasnt enough to convince me. This brings me to the point where I am now, I have a reactor and will try them out.
1211101418.jpg

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Sump

Sump

Looks like a pretty nice little setup and it takes advantage of the space you have. I'm sure you'll be happy with the sump once you get everything settles in.

Tim

Thanks Tim Tis is what I wrote up I wanted a 20 long but it didn't fit

Inside Tank Stand Dimensions
Length 27.5 inches
With 15 inches
Height 28 inches
With shelf 20 inches
20 gallon high sump
Length 24.25 inches
With 12.5 inches
Height 16.75 inches
Play room with tank in stand
Length 3.25
With 2.5
Height 11.25

I went as big as I could without custom making one.

If any of you ever want to come check my set up out, you are allways welcome. We can shoot the ish about our hobby and I you are a beer drinker like I am then we can toss some back too.

Just2many, thanks for taking a look I tried to take better quality pics but I just dont have the patience to do so.

Erik

Just a little update on the sump

well as most alreay know, when I first installed my sump I lost some livestock and was regretting installing the sump. I now love the sump even though I have not yet been able to bring my nitrates back down to zero. It has only been Three months and and I have made alot of additions to the sump so I will give it some time to settle itself out. The Octopus NWB 110 skimmer is a beast and the gate valve is so easy to dial in. Here are some pics of the sump now.

0317112252.jpg

0317112252d.jpg

0317112252c.jpg

0317112252b.jpg

0317112253a.jpg

I have added three reactors to the sump: GFO, Carbon, Bio Pellets. next in line is an ATO (coming very soon, hopefully before the summer heat hits)

Man that is a sexy looking Refuge! Wow! So clean and stylish! You should make it a DT! :)

Steffen Sparks

Back